PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with upgrade to 11.10

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
OK so this is my fault totally...

Long/short - always had an isse where if I left 11.04 alone for a few hours, the WiFi would drop and not restart until the desktop rebooted. Never knew if it was the box or the router, but not a huge issue as never really left box running.

So start upgrade last night from 11.04 - 11.10.

Have to reboot halfway through as the WiFi dropped. All started again fine.

This morning, click the Replace Network Config dialogue - and of course the network has died because the box was on over night.

So the dialogue box then shows an error on every process line.

Being used to Windows, I figure that getting the system to reboot would be a good idea. The option even said Reboot and Complete.

However, now it won't even boot. Just gets to a black screen after the initial purple splash, then nothing. Left it all alone for half hour and still nothing.

So I know this is my fault. However, if I download the Upgrade image to USB, can I boot and upgrade from that?

Or will I have to download the 11.04 image, boot from USB, pull off my data (emails/few files), reinstall the whole thing fresh and then upgrade? And then put my files back?

Thanks, in advance, from a very red faced noob........

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
You got one of two choices:
You can use a live cd with internet working and get into chroot of your file system
with some commands and try to finish upgrade or you can just reinstall.
If you want to try to fix with a live cd and chroot command give me output of this:

sudo fdisk -l (lower case L)
and I will give you some commands to copy and paste.
Or you can just reinstall up to you.

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
You got one of two choices:
You can use a live cd with internet working and get into chroot of your file system
with some commands and try to finish upgrade or you can just reinstall.
If you want to try to fix with a live cd and chroot command give me output of this:
and I will give you some commands to copy and paste.
Or you can just reinstall up to you.

So, in essence, get it booting from USB then into terminal and go from there? Have I understood that right (see, told you I was a noob... Only been on Linux desktop for a month, tops!)?

Would rather try to get the upgrade finished if I can - pulling off email/files etc is something I tried to avoid where I can just because it's boring!

I'll have to get that output later from home. Should I d/l 11.04 and make a USB image or the 11.10 upgrade image to get into the system and then into terminal?

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2011, 08:59 AM
If you have a 11.04 or 11.10 usb or cd we can do it from there. (install cd using Try Ubuntu) All you do is boot off of
open a terminal and run some commands with your internet connected in Live Usb or cd. (make sure firefox connects to internet)
I am using sda5 as your linux install, you use your own from.

sudo fdisk -lOk use your own sda# and copy and paste the rest.

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev; sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts; sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc; sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
sudo chroot /mnt
dkpg --configure -a
apt-get update; apt-get upgradeIf you got errors running above the internet is not working in live cd or usb.

dpkg --configure -a
apt-get -f installDoes it say no more to upgrade.
If you got this far then might be ok.

exit
sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts && sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt/sys; sudo umount /mnt
sudo rebootNow lets see what happens you either got a working system or you do not and have to
reinstall.
#We are Mounting your install and a few more directorys and then checking to see if anything downloaded needs to be installed and for broken packages updating and upgrading system and unmounting what we mounted and rebooting.

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Awesome - thank you!

Just a final noob question... what's sda?

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Just a final noob question... what's sda?In Windows partitions are called letters like C: or D: or F: and so on.
In Linux partitions are read as sda1 or sda2 or sda3 and so on and on.
They mean same thing,
When you run
Will give you your sda#'s and one will be your Linux install. Will say Linux next to it.
so if it is sda1 you just replace my sda5 with sda1. (if you need help just post the outcome, me or someone can tell you which it is.)

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ahh that makes sense!

Just creating the 11.10 USB now via my Ubunutu netbook - will get onto this as soon as I get home and update later. Thank you for all the help!
Neil

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hiya

Righty ho...

Back home, going through your instructions.

the fdisk command gives:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0005acaa

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 154204159 77101056 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 154206206 156301311 1047553 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 154206208 156301311 1047552 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 2013 MB, 2013265920 bytes
62 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders, total 3932160 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0000b5f4

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 62 3928567 1964253 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

So I'm going to mount sda1 as this is the one that says Linux.

When I get down to the first chroot command, the terminal line says root@ubuntu:/#
The next dpkg command gives

No command 'dkpg' found, did you mean:
Command 'dpkg' from package 'dpkg' (main)
dkpg: command not found

So I've tried it with what Ubuntu suggests and I get:

root@ubuntu:/# dpkg - -configure -a
dpkg: error: unknown option -o

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages
;
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked
produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !
root@ubuntu:/#

Can you shed any light?

Thanks!

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM
update - I tried the
apt-get update; apt-get upgrade line and got a lot of text which eventually ended in

Get:35 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/universe Translation-en [3,901 B]
Fetched 127 kB in 5s (23.5 kB/s)
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
root@ubuntu:/#
Don't know if that helps...

WAIT ON THE ABOVE. Copy/pasted the last line of the Ubuntu script from terminal and something's happening. Lots of something, in fact.
Few erros coming up - few things can't be loaded (look like languages) but it's churning on through...
Something's going for a serious install... Haven't even used the apt get install line yet...

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
dpkg - -configure -aYou ran wrong copy and paste is easier.

dpkg --configure -aNotice the two -- you have a space between them in post 8.

Looks like you have a good chance of working notice it says dpkg was interupted, so they were through downloading, just might get that install back off the ground.

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
WAIT ON THE ABOVE. Copy/pasted the last line of the Ubuntu script from terminal and something's happening. Lots of something, in fact.
Few erros coming up - few things can't be loaded (look like languages) but it's churning on through...Must have run the dpkg --configure -a

When it is done run the

apt-get update; apt-get upgradethen

dpkg --configure -aagain.
Give it one of these also:

grub-install /dev/sda (just to make sure boot loader in right place)
before
exit

interacter
October 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Most excellent - it's working!

However... I can't get online (still have a blacklist as per this thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1850745&page=2 ) and it doesn't like my 2 monitors. It shows an image and I can mouse from one to the other, but it comes up with a message on boot about can't load monitor settings plus in the system -> displays option, it only shows 1 monitor.

The most pressing issue is not being able to get online. Should I remove the blacklist entry that was placed there in the last thread? Will that work?

Thank you for all of your help so far - once I had got the right piece of code it seems to have worked like a dream...

garvinrick4
October 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Most excellent - it's working!
Alright that was a 50/50 that worked out. Enjoy your Ubuntu, seems from Thread you have a Ralink
card and driver, put that in your Thread Title and a networking user will pick it up and help you out now.

interacter
October 19th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Will do - thanks so much for your help - can't tell you how much I appreciate it!