PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz effects are not that smooth...

kriegoamigo
October 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R series Laptop...
My configuration are as follows :-

Intel i5 processor
4GB of RAM
1GB dedicated ATI graphic processor
500 GB HDD

My problem is that some compiz effects are buggy...
Like the Desktop cube effect...
Buggy as in the panel while rotating gets varied color...
It does not look good :|

Can anybody please help ?

PS :- Compiz works on OpenGL (I assume). How can I put it on the dedicated graphics ? :|

dnyal
December 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I got a Dell 1464 with a 500 Mb 4330 ATI card; the rest of specs are as yours. Using open-source drives I get smooth effects and video playback, but apparently my video card overheats (my laptop gets very hot with the fan running at max). Then I installed the last proprietary drives (Catalyst 11.11) and the heat problem was solved, but the 3D effects (like maximizing, minimizing, etc.) are choppy. I got rid of the tearing with the "Tear free" option. Still the video playback is kind of laggy and I already tweaked VLC all I could with little improvement. I've search during months hoping to solve this issue but it's been this way all the time and there's no solution so far. Next time, I plan to buy a laptop with a video card that is supported.
I know this is not the answer you expected, but it is my intend to let you know you shouldn't waste much time on trying to solve this issue as it is very unlikely to get solved by AMD (they just don't pay enough attention to the open-source community; it seems they are too busy with Windows and Apple). :(

typhoon_tip
December 9th, 2011, 03:29 AM
There are plenty of threads in this forum that explains how to fix the choppy behaviour for ATI card. :popcorn: Also, on Ask Ubuntu there are same fixes as well.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860437&page=3