PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Revert instalation from 11.10 to 11.4

miahotrod
October 18th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I just upgraded to 11.10 and I want to revert back to 11.4 I am having too many issues that i did not previously have
I am having the following issues since upgrade
1 battery power indicator does not work when unpluged it shuts system down as soon as unpluged I know its not battery because i can boot to windows and backtrack unpluged.
2 is related to number 1 when i plug back in power the wireless does not work until i reboot
3 system locks up on occasion
4 I cannot switch to the old menu system previously i could change to the old menu system form the switch user page.
5 shutdown does not work from the switch user page

I have used and love ubuntu for a few years now but this version is just too buggy for me and I honestly hate the new menu system while it would be great in a touch screen tablet it requires to many mouse gestures to do simple things. (example try navigation to help menu form 11.10 vs 10.4

youngunix
October 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM
the best you can do is save all documents, files, pictures, videos... that you saved on ubuntu 11.10 onto a separate storage device and do a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04.

Bmonsterboy
October 18th, 2011, 03:13 AM
There is no easy way to downgrade. Do you use a separate partition for your home directory? It would be best to reinstall as youngunix said, and if you have a partition for your home dir, it makes reinstalls so much easier :)

Slim Odds
October 18th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Boy, this topic keeps coming back like a bad penny.

MODS, can we make a sticky about this?

There are NO downgrades!!!

critin
October 18th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Can't help with the rest, but the menu can be fixed. I suggest scrolling to the bottom and choosing the deb package and letting Software Center install it. The icon will appear on the top panel next to the mail.

http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/

critin

Mark Phelps
October 18th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Boy, this topic keeps coming back like a bad penny.

MODS, can we make a sticky about this?

There are NO downgrades!!!

That's one approach -- to what I personally feel is a SERIOUS problem.

Another approach would be to add text to the installer that warns folks that if they choose to Upgrade an existing Ubuntu install, there is no Downgrade option available to restore the old version.

Every time a new release comes out, we see LOTS of posts like this, and even though this has been happening for YEARS, Canonical appears to show NO interest in adding roll-back cabability to the Upgrade option.

Slim Odds
October 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM
That's one approach -- to what I personally feel is a SERIOUS problem.

Another approach would be to add text to the installer that warns folks that if they choose to Upgrade an existing Ubuntu install, there is no Downgrade option available to restore the old version.

Every time a new release comes out, we see LOTS of posts like this, and even though this has been happening for YEARS, Canonical appears to show NO interest in adding roll-back cabability to the Upgrade option.

Agreed, I'd love to see the roll-back option.