PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost GRUB menu after adding RAM

ptmoy
October 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I've been dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 desktop (64bit) with Window 7 (64 bit) on a Dell T110 PowerEdge Server (Server has 2GB RAM) since version 10.04 was first released. Everything has been working fine. Recently, I added memory by replacing my 2GB stick with two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB. After this, the GRUB menu for choosing which OS to boot no longer comes up. Instead, the screen just flashes a few time, then computer boots into the default OS, which in my case is Ubuntu 10.04. If I take out the new RAM and reinstall the original 2GB stick, everything works as before. If I keep the 8GB in, and uninstall GRUB-PC and GRUB COMMON, I get the menu back but still can't boot into Windows 7, but I can still choose to boot into Ubuntu or Memtest without any problems. If I re-install GRUB-PC and GRUB COMMON with the 8GB, original problem comes right back.

Does anyone know what's causing this behavior, and have any suggestion on how I can get GRUB to work with the added memory?

zvacet
October 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Probably not a solution but doesn´t cost you anything.With your new ram boot in Ubuntu and run

sudo update-grub

and see if that help.

ptmoy
October 18th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your reply and suggestion. That was actually one of the first thing I tried. It didn't work.