PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgraded well but want to hide launcher

jonthiele
October 18th, 2011, 12:21 AM
The upgrade went smoothly and the computer works.

I would like to hide the launcher forever. In help I saw that one can change icon size via Compiz Config Settings Manager and thought maybe that will tell me how to kill it too. So I went to the software center to get it, and it said it was already installed. I hit the gear, system settings, personal, and Compiz is not there as it is supposed to be.

So please help: how do I get rid of the launcher?

Second request: How do I add icons to the top panel? Next to the battery level indicator and wireless signal thing, I'd like to add the system monitor, force quit, and a couple others lost in the upgrade.

Thank you for your attention and, yes, you may correctly infer from phrases like "the computer works" that I am not a technical guy so simple instructions will be appreciated.

jonthiele
October 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM
When I put the cursor on an icon in the launcher and reveal a menu such as 'safely eject' a USB, the menu does not work. Salections do not highlight and clicking on them does nothing.

jonthiele
October 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM
So is it possible to hide the launcher?

dFlyer
October 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM
If you install compizconfig-setting-manager (ccsm) you will be able to hide the launcher.

From a terminal enter the following command:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-setting-manager

After the program is installed press alt-F2 and enter about:config in the pop up windows.

you will find the setting under experimental

Hakunka-Matata
October 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM
The upgrade went smoothly and the computer works.

I would like to hide the launcher forever. In help I saw that one can change icon size via Compiz Config Settings Manager and thought maybe that will tell me how to kill it too. So I went to the software center to get it, and it said it was already installed. I hit the gear, system settings, personal, and Compiz is not there as it is supposed to be.

So please help: how do I get rid of the launcher?

Second request: How do I add icons to the top panel? Next to the battery level indicator and wireless signal thing, I'd like to add the system monitor, force quit, and a couple others lost in the upgrade.

Thank you for your attention and, yes, you may correctly infer from phrases like "the computer works" that I am not a technical guy so simple instructions will be appreciated.
How do I add icons to the top panel?
left mouse button on an Icon you want, hold the left button down and drag the Icon to the top panel, then release. That copies the Icon to the panel.

jonthiele
October 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you for your replies, but the reco'd fixes do not seem to be working.

For moving icons to the top panel, it simply doesn't happen. The icon moves off the launcher, but it does not stay where I put it whether it is the top panel or the desktop. It returns to the launcher. And I cannot find "force quit" or "system monitor" in the first place (these are what I want up there).

For the compfig, it is installed already. It does not appear in the perosnal menu of system settings as the help guide says it should, and at the software center there are comments that say using it with 11.10 can be deadly.

There is on improvement since my comments, though. If I right click and hold on an icon on the lauch bar, the menus work now.