PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome Shell Search Not Working

kiki298
October 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM
It's a minor problem, but when I search for something in gnome shell and press enter, it searches wikipedia rather than opening the application I wanted. Even if I highlight the app I want using the arrow keys and press enter, it still won't launch. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm currently using 11.10. Thanks :)

kiki298
October 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
*bump*

munkymac
October 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM
You can click with the mouse but enter always pulls up Wikipedia, right? I'm having the same problem...have had it since I upgraded to 3.2 a week or so ago (prior to upgrading to 11.10, so the problem was present in 11.04).

BazookaAce
October 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I too have problems with the search. Nothing like your problem, but when i want to search the whole system freezes and i have to reboot.

guakeke
October 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have a related problem where the search function puts my search into Google rather than opening the application whose name I've typed.

kiki298
October 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Exactly. I've been turning the internet upside down trying to find a solution but so far nothing. It's really annoying because it was one of my favourite features. Hope someone finds a fix soon.

guakeke
October 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Try turning off some of your Gnome Shell extensions and then resetting the Shell. In my case I've isolated it to the Zeitgeist search plugin. Now I've turned that off I can open programmes by hitting return. Thanks for posting about this by the way - I hadn't realised how annoying this bug was till you brought it to my attention!

kiki298
October 19th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks so much! It was exactly that extension that was causing problems for me. I'm going to go file a bug with the zeitgeist dev. :)