PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to sync Palm Pilot in 11.10?

heynnema
October 17th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Palm sync worked fine in 11.04 using gnome-pilot. This option doesn't appear available in 11.10. I've tried all of the other sync utils that I can find in synaptic, or the software center (J-Pilot, Pilot Manager, etc.) and NONE of them work... let alone designed to sync datebook/contacts with Evolution.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Al
:confused:

kmichels
October 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I also used gnome-pilot and now that doesn't work. I did get J-Pilot work, but I want to sync with Evolution because it has a nicer interface. Is there still a way to sync directly with Evolution? Or if not directly is there a way to sync J-Pilot with Evolution?

heynnema
October 19th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I tried to sync just my contacts (only) with J-Pilot as a test, and only 4 contacts came over. Am I missing something?

Cheers, Al

kjaspan
October 28th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I also used gnome-pilot and now that doesn't work. I did get J-Pilot work, but I want to sync with Evolution because it has a nicer interface. Is there still a way to sync directly with Evolution? Or if not directly is there a way to sync J-Pilot with Evolution?
You say you did get Jpilot to work but did you get it to sync? I absolutely cannot connect. I have tried pilot-xfer --port=usb: --sync=<directory path> but that fails to connect too. Looks like we've been cut off at the knees with this release (alas). I would hate to be forced to revert to Windows.

kjaspan
October 28th, 2011, 08:27 PM
You say you did get Jpilot to work but did you get it to sync? I absolutely cannot connect. I have tried pilot-xfer --port=usb: --sync=<directory path> but that fails to connect too. Looks like we've been cut off at the knees with this release (alas). I would hate to be forced to revert to Windows.
Well folks, some limited success. Referring to the bug report #138823 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pilot-link/+bug/138823) I tried pilot-xfer with the debug settings suggested (PILOT_DEBUG=DEV PILOT_DEBUG_LEVEL=DEBUG PILOT_LOG=1 PILOT_LOGFILE=/tmp/pilot_log_file) and got the connect tones. However it was waiting to identify the user and I don't see a way to specify the user with any flag in pilot-xfer as yet. I will report back if I find something.

kmichels
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM

I didn't do anything special. I plugged in the palm pilot using a USB cable. I then pushed the hotsync button on the palm, and hit the hotsync button in the Jpilot program at the same time. It then synced.