PDA

View Full Version : is there a free pc-2-phone app ??

rapala61
March 8th, 2005, 04:15 AM
hi everyone!
i was wondering if any of u knows about an app that could let me do PC-2-Phone calls for free...??

TIA.

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM
hi everyone!
i was wondering if any of u knows about an app that could let me do PC-2-Phone calls for free...??

TIA.
The closest to this i know of is skype . Not pc to phone tho

rapala61
March 8th, 2005, 04:27 AM
The closest to this i know of is skype . Not pc to phone tho

what u need to do pc to phone calls?? i mean... u need special hardware of something.. thats why u cant have it without paying??

i've herad of skype but its the same as other app... no free pc-2-phone.. :cry:

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 04:36 AM
what u need to do pc to phone calls?? i mean... u need special hardware of something.. thats why u cant have it without paying??

i've herad of skype but its the same as other app... no free pc-2-phone.. :cry:
Companies will charge a very low rate for this, but it is charging.

http://www.dialpad.com/
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm << This show how it works [aka VoIP.

Its absurdly cheap if you spend money regularly on phone calls tho.

I'd probably use it should i need it .

TravisNewman
March 8th, 2005, 04:51 AM
I used to do this all the time with dialpad, back when it was free. And no, you didn't need special hardware, and you could call anywhere for free. I think you were limited to 5 or 10 minutes if you didn't pay.

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 04:55 AM
I used to do this all the time with dialpad, back when it was free. And no, you didn't need special hardware, and you could call anywhere for free. I think you were limited to 5 or 10 minutes if you didn't pay.
I think 1st it was 10 then 5 mins .

Sadly, at that time i think i had a crappy 28000kbps modem [at most 33.6k connection] ... 3rd world country people, dont laugh .

TravisNewman
March 8th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Dialpad came out about the time that I went to college, so 10megabit connection ;) worked quite well.

But before that I was using a 56k modem, and I fully remember the 28k and 33.6k days, so I feel your pain.

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Dialpad came out about the time that I went to college, so 10megabit connection ;) worked quite well.

But before that I was using a 56k modem, and I fully remember the 28k and 33.6k days, so I feel your pain.
Hehe.

The saddest memory computer related I think I have is WAITING for some "some outrageous perfect quality" Metallica .midis @ 14kbps. And my night with no sleep just to get maybe 7 or 8 300-500kb NES games like Tecmo Baseball ...

I would'va never thought I'd be downloading complete 4 season T.V. series like "24" [backup purposes...] .

---

Anyways, Skype's still cool, its a no brainer for anyone on the other side to install, and for today's standards it barely consumes bandwith with flawless almost no lag [I've tested as far as Me [caribbean] to India ... thats something]

TravisNewman
March 8th, 2005, 05:24 AM
*LOL* I remember the Metallica midis! I was all into midi before the day of MP3.

Tecmo baseball is ok, but did you ever play tecmo bowl? It was the best football game on NES ever! Then Blitz came out for PSX and my oh my, that was the end of playing any new football video games. I ADORE that game.

Anyway, skype is pretty sweet. Since it's free and effortless (should be anyway) it's not difficult to get people to install it.

rapala61
March 8th, 2005, 05:33 AM
i was lucky enough to have dial-up for just 1 month before going the cable way.. although i took a step back and now im using dsl which i consider better than cable...

man.. im desperate for find out how to get to call a regular phone from my computer without paying... ( not that im cheap, its just i cant afford it :-( ) i mean... i use to buy calling cards.. here in new york i can buy $2 calling cards which gives me 45 minutes to where i call... i went to the dialpad website and doing some math.. i would be paying $5.xx per 45 minutes.. more expensive :-(

im not lossing my hope tho... ill be looking.. looking .. looking ..

:cry:

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 05:39 AM
*LOL* I remember the Metallica midis! I was all into midi before the day of MP3.

Tecmo baseball is ok, but did you ever play tecmo bowl? It was the best football game on NES ever! Then Blitz came out for PSX and my oh my, that was the end of playing any new football video games. I ADORE that game.

Anyway, skype is pretty sweet. Since it's free and effortless (should be anyway) it's not difficult to get people to install it.
Lol I wasnt a big fan of football [still havent seriously played any football game] as Its not a sponsored sport here [ *wait* dont slap me yet , now i do watch when the Patriots b*slap the competition year after year lol] ... omG the memoirs now im remembering a friend's where ZSNES would run slower than Doom3 on a 1ghz celeron lol ]Oh the Humanity!![ .

I still every once in a while log into windows 3.11 just because it makes me giggle lol [on a live disc of course ...] .

Ok, imma 10-3 on this thread now. [http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/polcodes.htm]

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 05:52 AM
i was lucky enough to have dial-up for just 1 month before going the cable way.. although i took a step back and now im using dsl which i consider better than cable...

man.. im desperate for find out how to get to call a regular phone from my computer without paying... ( not that im cheap, its just i cant afford it :-( ) i mean... i use to buy calling cards.. here in new york i can buy $2 calling cards which gives me 45 minutes to where i call... i went to the dialpad website and doing some math.. i would be paying $5.xx per 45 minutes.. more expensive :-(

im not lossing my hope tho... ill be looking.. looking .. looking ..

:cry:

Hey wth 2 dollars for 45 minutes is pretty cheap dude ... im not even saying how much they charge me to call from here ]dominican republic ... no its not a restaurant its an actual country[ to nyc par example .

rapala61
March 8th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Hey wth 2 dollars for 45 minutes is pretty cheap dude ... im not even saying how much they charge me to call from here ]dominican republic ... no its not a restaurant its an actual country[ to nyc par example .

yeah i know... BTW .. i call to DR...

its kinda cheap but , u get what u pay for.. sometimes i cant hear the other person, or the sound quality sucks, it all depends on the time i call.. at night.. which is when i call.. its pretty congested.

where do you live dude... Santo DOmingo??.. Santiago??

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 06:58 AM
yeah i know... BTW .. i call to DR...

its kinda cheap but , u get what u pay for.. sometimes i cant hear the other person, or the sound quality sucks, it all depends on the time i call.. at night.. which is when i call.. its pretty congested.

where do you live dude... Santo DOmingo??.. Santiago??
Doesn't the person you're trying to contact have good internet connection ? Skype's really good. And like all things, the free Internet 2 Phone is over ...

--
O_o Santo Domingo o_O

U call here? what can u find useful here!?lol

rapala61
March 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Doesn't the person you're trying to contact have good internet connection ? Skype's really good. And like all things, the free Internet 2 Phone is over ...

--
O_o Santo Domingo o_O

U call here? what can u find useful here!?lol

I call to Santiago.. cuz my girlfriend is over there finishing a job on interior design...
but as im almost always using the computer , i was wondering if i could call her for free :mrgreen: .. too bad i cant.. but anyways .. thanks bored.

Jad
March 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM
anyone remember that ugly green screen FreeTell ? it was great that time
nowdays the best is to go with SkyPE

bored2k
March 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
anyone remember that ugly green screen FreeTell ? it was great that time
nowdays the best is to go with SkyPE
I was quite amazed of Skype's website: they have every possible extension covered for LInux, source, rpm, deb. Now that's what I call GOOD customer support !.

pacificflows
March 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
are phone-to-pc calls possible with free skype?

LowSky
March 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.magicjack.com/

smakarl
September 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
YES! Just install WINE. Then download & install PC2phone. The WINE application installer will automatically come up to install it. I have found PC2phone to work better on UBUNTU under WINE than on Windows. Have fun.

sisco311
September 26th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Old thread closed.

http://ompldr.org/tYzBtcQ (http://ompldr.org/vYzBtcQ)

Perfect Storm
September 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Old as dust thread. Please avoid necromancing, thanks.

Thread closed.

EDIT: sisco311 beat me to it.