PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] One reason I won't install Oneiric

aromo
October 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I was eager to try the new Unity interface, I swear. So I downloaded the installer last Thursday in the morning. Booted from it just to realize that there is no terminal icon... hell, not even the resource meter could be found.

This is the first Ubuntu release (I've been using it since Feisty Fawn) that I have to google how to get to the command-line... and I still haven't found out how.

I'll stick with Maverick and see what Mint comes up with next month. As far as Ubuntu goes, I'm done!

Thank you for the previous releases, but it's time for me to move on.

sanderd17
October 17th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Are you serious?

CTRL+ALT+T should show the terminal. But you should also be able to find one in Unity I guess.

Btw, I moved on to Arch some months ago. And I like it this far, but I can only advise it to people that love the command line.

haqking
October 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I was eager to try the new Unity interface, I swear. So I downloaded the installer last Thursday in the morning. Booted from it just to realize that there is no terminal icon... hell, not even the resource meter could be found.

This is the first Ubuntu release (I've been using it since Feisty Fawn) that I have to google how to get to the command-line... and I still haven't found out how.

I'll stick with Maverick and see what Mint comes up with next month. As far as Ubuntu goes, I'm done!

Thank you for the previous releases, but it's time for me to move on.

ctrl+alt+t which is has been the same for ages.

Or click dash icon and type terminal.

If you have been with Ubuntu since feisty fawn and you cant find terminal ? mmmmmmm

snowpine
October 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Unity is brand new, it is silly to expect everything to be in the same place and work the same way. Try it for a couple of weeks and, y'know, read the instructions before you pass judgment!

There are tons of "how to use Unity" tutorials on the web such as: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/list-of-ubuntu-unity-keyboard-shortcuts.html

The best feature of Unity in my opinion is the "dash." Simply tap the Windows/Super key and type a few letters of what you're trying to do. Couldn't be easier, and you don't even need to take your hands off the keyboard!

Good luck! :)

aromo
October 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Unity is brand new, it is silly to expect everything to be in the same place and work the same way. Try it for a couple of weeks and, y'know, read the instructions before you pass judgment!

There are tons of "how to use Unity" tutorials on the web such as: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/list-of-ubuntu-unity-keyboard-shortcuts.html

The best feature of Unity in my opinion is the "dash." Simply tap the Windows/Super key and type a few letters of what you're trying to do. Couldn't be easier, and you don't even need to take your hands off the keyboard!

Good luck! :)

First of all, thanks for all the posts above.

That's exactly my point. I was used to find terminal on the menus and now I have to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS to find it. I mean, c'mon.

Anybody knows where to find the resource meter (the one similar to Windows' task manager)?

haqking
October 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM

That's exactly my point. I was used to find terminal on the menus and now I have to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS to find it. I mean, c'mon.

Anybody knows where to find the resource meter (the one similar to Windows' task manager)?

the same way you find terminal

type system monitor into the dash

and god forbid that someone has to read the instructions, i wish more people would

snowpine
October 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM

You're welcome! But if you had read the instructions, then the rest of us wouldn't have had to take time out of our busy days to help you find the terminal. I'm not upset (I like helping people), just sayin' it's something to think about next time. :)

Rasa1111
October 20th, 2011, 01:19 AM
using ubuntu since the beginning and you don't know that ctrl+alt+t opens a terminal?
huh

and once its open, and you see it in unity, right click and "keep in launcher".

but you're 'done' anyway...
so never mind. lol
have a good one.

Oh no, instructions! O_o

MartyBuntu
October 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Ahhh, Unity....

You're only a few dozen mouse clicks combined with a handful of keyboard shortcuts from having the world at your fingertips.

;)