PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] running gnome-shell in oneiric in a virtual machine

psikobare
October 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
hi

before moving to oneiric with gnome-shell i decided to try it a few days/weeks in a virtual machine in order to learn and get use to it
i use vmware player for its performance (tried virtualbox, with no success), version 4.0.0 build-471780 in win7 64bit

installation (desktop amd64) is fine

moving to gnome-shell seemed pretty easy according to tutorials

apt-get install gnome-shell

logged out, log back in in GNOME

but i appear to always end up using the fallback (GNOME and gnome classic look the same)
screenshot, loging with GNOME:
http://uppix.net/3/4/6/19f4b19ed80e4b3e8e8ef4bb5d971t.jpg (http://uppix.net/3/4/6/19f4b19ed80e4b3e8e8ef4bb5d971.html)

3d acceleraton is activated in vmware

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
gives me direct rendering: Yes

but gnome-shell --replace
gives me:
failed to create drawable
(gnome-shell:1487): clutter critical, unable to initialize clutter, unable to select the newly created GLX context
window manager error: unable to initialize clutter

as the title say, running gnome-shell in oneiric in a virtual machine, is it possible? has someone manage to do it?

zebx
October 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I have the same issue and error message on my Vaiio laptop without virtual machine. :(

subehsharma
October 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM
i have also faced this problem now. anybody has any idea?

Shazaam
October 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Virtual machine software normally do not access your actual video card hardware; Xen may be the exception. They usually use an "emulated" video card. As such you cannot get the true "3d" experience with them no matter what they say. To get true "3d" they would have to find a way to access your actual hardware with the virtual machine. AFAIK VmWare and VirtualBox do not have that capability right now.
In my experience Unity and gnome-shell usually work fine in 2d mode (or fallback mode in gnome-shell) in a virtual machine.