PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Nuke & Pave Unbutu for Kubuntu

wadedesk
October 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I was running a highly customized desktop in Ubuntu 11.04 Classic. Knowing that my upgrade to 11.10 would force me to Unity, I decided to try and make the switch. After 3 days of trying to get color schemes reset to where I can use Unity is just not working out. I just miss a simple menu system. I'm not happy with the new Gnome Classic (not able to add to the panel) or Gnome 3 (Unity want-to-be with messed up type) desktops either.

I'm thinking about do a TAR of my home folder to a different partition and then nuking Ubuntu and installing Xubuntu. I'm running an AMD 64-bit system. Any thoughts about problems I might have when I copy my home folder back into Xubuntu?

I had the old Ubuntu running a single integrated top panel with Docky on the bottom and love it. I see where I can still use Docky or mod the Xfce panel into a dock.

I will want to add more resource intensive apps to Xubuntu, like Libre Office. I just want a simple menu system and not all the layers of icons that Unity forces me through.