PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to build and install pidgin-hotkeys without running sudo apt-get?

pavel__
October 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM
hi

i'm trying to install http://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin-hotkeys/, but i have no admin rights on this machine, so I'd like to install the plugin locally, without having to run sudo apt-get install. unfortunately, I don't know how to do so.

does anyone know how do I get this running?

thanks!

Frogs Hair
October 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You will need sudo permission to install software via .deb package or a tar .gz from the terminal . I would see your system administrator if you don't have permission to install software .

pavel__
October 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
it's not always the case - e.g. I can install google chrome just by unpacking the .deb package.

is there a way to unpack the pidgin-hotkeys and tell pidgin to look somewhere locally for additional plugins?

Frogs Hair
October 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I can't support installing a program without administrator approval . There are many guides for installing tar .gz packages on the web .

mcduck
October 18th, 2011, 07:09 AM
The user directory for pidgin plugins is ~/.purple/plugins. Depending on how the plugin in question works, unpacking it there might do the trick.