PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [INFO] 11.04 -> 11.10 DBus / network-config / gconf boot error Info Thread

geudrik
October 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Because it appears there are a good many of us that have run into issues during their upgrades from 11.04 to 11.10, resulting in the issues, and similar issues, the ones below, I figured that I would take a minute to cover them and compile a list of proposed solutions.

Please post responses, ideas, tips, suggestions etc and I will update this thread accordingly.

Issues

Issue 1: At boot time, you get a slew of messages akin to this, then X fails to load at all and all you have is TTY...

modem-manager[898]: Could not get the system bus. make sure the message bus daemon is running!
message: failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: connection refused

Issue 2:

** (gdm-binary:2292): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

Issue 3:

(process:3547): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

SOLUTIONS

The solutions are suggestions that I have come across on the forums, that have seemed to be working for a good many people. I would suggest that should you be experiencing any of these issues, you give them a try. I encourage feedback on this thread!

First, when the screen goes black and X fails to start, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to TTY1 and login as normal. This will drop you into single-user mode, aka run-level 2

sudo mv /var/run/* /run/
sudo mv /var/lock/* /run/lock/
sudo rm -r /var/run
sudo rm -r /var/lock
sudo ln -s /run /var/run
sudo ln -s /run/lock /var/lock
sudo rm /run/dbus/*

What's happened here? 11.10 had paths changed, and the upgrade tool fails to symlink properly.
Credit: codac (source (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859432))

Note: If you are getting an error re: no such file or directory, try running

sudo mkdir /run/lock prior to running the above block.

TIPS

If you are still having issues, try re-running the sym-link part

sudo ln -s /run /var/run
sudo ln -s /run/lock /var/lock

If you have issues when you try to sudo update-grub, try

sudo ln -s /var/run/ /run/
sudo ln -s /var/lock/ /run/lock/

As a final step, you should also run:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Teque5
October 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks! The basic solution fixed my problem.

BulentCOSKUN
October 18th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Hi,

Thanks for this solution. First Option has worked for me.
:)

geudrik
October 18th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I'm glad that this has been of help :)

lwhitmore
October 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
First solution worked for me too. Thanks. God only knows how a 'regular' user is supposed to deal with this kind of thing :-P

shaolin_
October 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks my man. Your solution worked great!

ozi_lion
October 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Worked for me too, thanks a lot

eggplant37
November 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Adding in my two cents... two laptops here had similar problems on upgrade. Thanks for saving my tail.

jacopo3001
November 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Seems I am in this situation too, like described in Issue 1.
But, maybe being a complete newbie with linux, i got stuck at step one: when I
sudo mv /var/run/* /run/

it runs few lines, then stops at
'/var/run/vmblock-fuse/dev' -> '/run/vmblock-fuse/dev'
and I dont know how to continue.

I restarted the computer with the power button, tried again and again stoped at the same point.

What am i missing?

jacopo3001
November 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM
seems the problem is related to VMWARE.
i found some details further details here:
http://www.digitalxerf.com/ubuntu-11-10-upgrade-first-thoughts/
http://uksysadmin.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/upgrade-to-ubuntu-11-10-problem-waiting-for-network-configuration-then-black-screen-solution/

will try and let you know.

JoWi
November 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks, solution worked fine! :)

jorb
June 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
This works for me :) Now if only I could do-release-upgrade without something breaking!