PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 login problem: Xauthority gets auto recreated

lovelymmx
October 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
:confused:Please can anybody help!!!

I checked a couple of posts there mentioning after deleting the Xauthority file, login should be back to normal. However in my case, I can delete the file, but every time when I tried to login again (after reboot or Ctrl + Alt + F7), I got the same problem and when switch back to terminal, I found the file got itself recreated there.

It seems the owner of Xauthority is myself instead of root in my case, which means I can simply use rm .Xauthority to delete it without sudo it. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem.

Any suggestions about that? Many thanks!

lovelymmx
October 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
OK, a bit updates:

I found the this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859571) and followed the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm" instructions.

When choosing lightdm, got exactly the same results, but when choosing gdm, I got back to a slightly different classic GNOME login page and I can then log into the system with my account again. Therefore it seems to be a purely lightdm configuration problems.

This may not be a solution as it didn't actually solved anything, just bypassed my current problem, but at least I can login and get to work. I'll see if I can found a better way to deal with that later.

cives
October 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Try this solution:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11359168&postcount=11

I had the same problem (it is all explained in the thread, at the end of it), and the solution by Effenberg0x0 solved it definitely, after a couple of days trying everything without result.

atishmndl
September 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
IF YOU CHANGE THE FOLDER PERMISSION BY MISTAKE AND CANT LOGIN THEN FOLLOW THE STEPS-
1> ctrl+alt+f1
2>login
3>sudo -i
4>cd /home/user(your login name)
5>chown -R user:user /home
6>chmod 777 /home
7>find /home -type d -print0 | xargs -0 -II chmod 777 'I'
if any problem occur during coding change it little and give exact space
8>RETURNING MAIN PAGE PRESS CTRL+ALT+f7..:lolflag: