PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I "Activate window on mouse move over"?

ked
October 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Can't find this option in Unity... Am I blind?

Ked...

ked
October 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
It can't be only me missing this option??? Selecting a window without having to click it??? Come on...

mcduck
October 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Install the gnome-tweak-tool (apt:gnome-tweak-tool), the option appears in the Window section.

I don't think there's any configuration option for this available by default.

stinkeye
October 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
For compiz
ccsm > general options > focus and raise behaviour
Disable click to focus and adjust the auto-raise delay if needed.
Can be hard to use if set too short.

ked
October 17th, 2011, 02:03 PM
For compiz
ccsm > general options > focus and raise behaviour
Disable click to focus and adjust the auto-raise delay if needed.
Can be hard to use if set too short.

EXACTLY what I wanted :)

Tanx!

cogcog
October 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
Did you find that this works for you long term? It fixes the problem for me for one login session, but next time I log in, it has reverted back to the behavior where you have to click on windows before they get focus.

markbl
October 23rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
EXACTLY what I wanted :)

Are you sure you want that?

I have always preferred "focus follows mouse" also but it doesn't really work on unity due to global menus (because the menu will/may change as you move your mouse over another app's window to get to the panel bar).

cogcog
October 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM

I have always preferred "focus follows mouse" also but it doesn't really work on unity due to global menus (because the menu will/may change as you move your mouse over another app's window to get to the panel bar).

Yeah, the global menu bar really screws with this! But luckily you can turn it off. I never really understood click-to-focus (why is it useful to send mouse movements to a window that you aren't interacting with..?) But I also don't see the advantage of a global menu (why would you visually and spatially separate part of an application from the rest?) So for me, the obvious best setting is menus-in-windows with focus-follows-pointer.

ked
October 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Did you find that this works for you long term? It fixes the problem for me for one login session, but next time I log in, it has reverted back to the behavior where you have to click on windows before they get focus.

I'm not sure as I rarely log out, but I'll look into it tomorrow at work.

ked
October 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM

Well, I removed the global menu - guess it was the first thing I did along with removing the overlay scrollbar...;)

ked
October 24th, 2011, 07:55 AM

For me the settings stays put, also after reboot. Now, I only want to change the scrollbar color... it's really annoying not finding out about it...](*,)

mc4man
October 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
For me the settings stays put, also after reboot. Now, I only want to change the scrollbar color... it's really annoying not finding out about it...](*,)
For the overlay-scrollbar -
I change that here for ambiance in /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
& also in /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
(in 11.04 I may have also edited ..gtk-3.0/gtk.css

The scrollbar is changed in the gtk-3.0/settings.ini thru the
nselected_bg_color:#f07746
#f07746 is that orange color
More than just the scrollbar is changed, it affects pretty much all that was orange before.
The same in the gtkrc changes highlighting in firefox, maybe elsewhere

May be other ways, myself want to kill the orange everywhere