PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] remove until doubled char

Mr.Pytagoras
October 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
lets say i have something like

/etc//var/run/motdhow do i remove the
/etc/ and leave only
/var/run/motdI am finding symlink target and I need the absolute path, this is almost what i want but can't rid of the directory before //

the command what i using
find $DIR -maxdepth $DEPTH -type l -printf %h/%l\\n 2>/dev/null

thanks for your help

btw, I cant use readlink -f nor stat

EDIT: I am using bash as my shell

Vaphell
October 17th, 2011, 11:26 AM
not really getting it, why don't you drop the %h/ from printf, which is what puts /etc/ there in the results in the first place?
but if you really need to have it your way and process find output

find <whatever> | sed 's:^.*//:/:'

Arndt
October 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
not really getting it, why don't you drop the %h/ from printf, which is what puts /etc/ there in the results in the first place?

Probably in order to handle relative symlinks.

Note that the symlink text may contain double slashes itself - then the above substitution will do the wrong thing. I suggest splitting the handling of the symlink into two cases: with and without a leading slash.

Mr.Pytagoras
October 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM

thanks, this is what i needed

Probably in order to handle relative symlinks.

Note that the symlink text may contain double slashes itself - then the above substitution will do the wrong thing. I suggest splitting the handling of the symlink into two cases: with and without a leading slash.

True, it is because the relative symlinks
I was also thinking about splitting it into two cases but it would require launching find twice and i wanted to avoid that. Anyway thanks.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way how to do this without sed or splitting it into two cases?