PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I would like to set Ubuntu 10.04 back to it's original self.

carrie.kandira
October 17th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I would like like to set Ubuntu 10.04 back to it's original settings just like how I put it on the computer. I've downloaded a bunch of stuff and am pretty sure I don't need most of it. I know which ones I will go back and add. I just want to start with a clean slate. Ubuntu is the only operating system I have on my computer, and I didn't want to have to just install it again using the USB.

Thank you.

critin
October 17th, 2011, 05:22 AM
As far as I know, there isn't a 'restore' option other than installing fresh. If you have everything off that you need, it really doesn't take long to install it again.

If there is a way to restore it to like new, I'd like to learn it too.

critin

hansdown
October 17th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Hi, carrie.kandira.

critin is correct.

A fresh install, is the best option.

If your system is running well, you shouldn't worry.

Which changes are you not happy with?

Please be aware, that removing some apps, may make your system unstable.

carrie.kandira
October 17th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Well I'm really just worried that I have too much on it. Cause when I use bleachbit i get alot of error reads.

carrie.kandira
October 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM
How would you reinstall it on the computer when it's the only OS? When I first put it on I got rid of Windows XP so there was an option to make it the only OS.

hansdown
October 17th, 2011, 07:53 AM
How would you reinstall it on the computer when it's the only OS? When I first put it on I got rid of Windows XP so there was an option to make it the only OS.

Just do a fresh install, and select

use entire disk

WARNING: Backup your personal info.

It will be lost.

oldos2er
October 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Well I'm really just worried that I have too much on it. Cause when I use bleachbit i get alot of error reads.

Are you running out of disk space? It's not really clear what you're saying here.

To free up disk space, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670