PDA

View Full Version : Sooo...the default application for the calendar is gedit??

Legendary_Bibo
October 17th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I'm liking Gnome Shell right now, but what I noticed the first day is that the calendar applet's default client where you set events was gedit. Odd I thought. I thought Thunderbird would be used for that, but it turns out that it doesn't have calendar integration even with the Lightning add on. It gets calendar support, but it doesn't integrate with any calendar. The Calendar in Gnome Shell kept trying to launch Evolution so I said screw it and installed Evolution for the calendar support (I prefer Thunderbird's Calendar thing tbh). So yeah...now I have two mail clients.

Someone already filed a bug report for this in the beginning of September...but it's set to low so I don't know if it'll get fixed anytime soon, but as soon as there's an update to fix it Evolution is gone.

Remember, it's always the small things that people notice first.

JDShu
October 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I suspect that it's simply because Shell uses Evolution by default and Ubuntu is shipping Thunderbird. Obviously Shell integration would not be a priority on Ubuntu.

Legendary_Bibo
October 17th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I suspect that it's simply because Shell uses Evolution by default and Ubuntu is shipping Thunderbird. Obviously Shell integration would not be a priority on Ubuntu.

It's like this under Unity also.

JDShu
October 17th, 2011, 05:32 AM
It's like this under Unity also.

Ah really? Then that is rather silly.

I switched to Fedora because I like Shell better, so I wouldn't know :P

kaldor
October 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM
In Unity nothing happens.

In Shell it says, "Command 'evolution' not found".

Someone already filed a bug report for this in the beginning of September...but it's set to low so I don't know if it'll get fixed anytime soon, but as soon as there's an update to fix it Evolution is gone.

Remember, it's always the small things that people notice first.

Indeed, and it is frustrating. Though, I can accept these issues if it's not an LTS; in my opinion, the normal releases are pretty much aimed at early adopters anyway.

rrohde
December 30th, 2011, 12:51 AM
This is really frustrating and still persists with the current Precise alpha built. I would have hoped that somehow a calendar program that supports Google Calendar would show up there, especially considering that I have filled out the information regarding my Google account under "Online Accounts" from the System Settings.

-Rainer

Frogs Hair
December 30th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I just updated to Tbird 9 a few minutes ago and the Lightning update said something about Google support in the description , but I haven't really looked at it yet . The Gnome shell uses Evolution as default as stated .