PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot install Xubuntu - neither Wubi nor full installation

MarjaE
October 17th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I've tried to install Xubuntu using Wubi, but it attempts to download an online version of the iso. And that machine has no internet connection - I'll set one up once Xubuntu is installed - so Wubi just quits/crashes.

I've tried to install it from the standard live cd for the amd-64, but it freezes during the dialogue where it asks for a wireless connection.

I've tried to install it from the alternate live cd for the amd-64, but I can't even boot from that cd, and I've made two copies.

So what now?

youngunix
October 17th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I've tried to install Xubuntu using Wubi, but it attempts to download an online version of the iso. And that machine has no internet connection - I'll set one up once Xubuntu is installed - so Wubi just quits/crashes.

I've tried to install it from the standard live cd for the amd-64, but it freezes during the dialogue where it asks for a wireless connection.

I've tried to install it from the alternate live cd for the amd-64, but I can't even boot from that cd, and I've made two copies.

So what now?

what are the specs of your PC/Laptop?

assuming you are trying to install Xubuntu 11.10, then try installing Xubuntu 11.04 then upgrade to 11.10 (if the upgrade completed successfully and you can't log in or the OS hangs after a reboot, then the hardware must be old and incompatible with those versions).

MarjaE
October 17th, 2011, 04:55 AM
what are the specs of your PC/Laptop?

assuming you are trying to install Xubuntu 11.10, then try installing Xubuntu 11.04 then upgrade to 11.10 (if the upgrade completed successfully and you can't log in or the OS hangs after a reboot, then the hardware must be old and incompatible with those versions).

With the standard live cd - it insisted on a working wireless connection, wasn't satisfied with the only wireless connection available, and gave up.

With the other live cd - I had to burn it from another os and the formatting got messed up the fist two times, but worked out the third. it also insisted on a working wireless connection, and wasn't satisfied, but I was able to go back and skip that step.

So it wasn't install-then-crash. It was -demand wireless connection, then demand wireless connection, then demand wireless connection again.

Right now I'm starting Windows and running checkdisk. Because I ported a diskfull of documents from my old machine, and my old machine doesn't have the same filename restrictions as Windows does, Windows is giving an endless stream of "invalid filename" error messages, but I'm not seeing any other error messages.