PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 - arduino sketched no longer compile

mlucia55
October 17th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I upgraded to 11.10 and found that even the simplest of 'example' sketches no longer compile without errors

Tux Aubrey
October 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hi mlucia55

Have you tried reinstalling the Arduino IDE? You may have dropped some dependencies in the upgrade, especially if you were not using the version of Ardiono in the repos.

I am using v22 and didn't notice any issues after upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10.

Maybe it is time to try the Vesion 1.0 RC (http://code.google.com/p/arduino/wiki/Arduino1) If you do, let us know how it goes.

mlucia55
October 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the reply - I tried removing and re-installing arduino and the avr compiler but had the same symptom.

After some additional testing, it would seem that the version I DLd from arduino exhibits the new symptom, along with the version that is launched with the icon from the menu.

If I open arduino from the command line (from usr/bin/ ) it's much happier

I will work to remove *all* versions and reinstall and see if I can clean things up a bit

To help others, here is a more complete description of the symptom:

The symptom that presents with the DLd version is with avr-gcc

In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/util/delay.h:44:0,
from /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/avr/delay.h:37,
from /home/mlucia/arduino-0022/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:30,
from /home/mlucia/arduino-0022/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c:34:
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected identifier or ‘(’ before ‘double’
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘>=’ token

dvberkel
October 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 has arduino 0022 in the repositories. So no custom install is needed anymore.

I had the same problem as stated in this thread. I removed my custom installation and downloaded the arduino package and it's dependencies directly from the repositories. After that the compilation problems were gone.

xl100
November 16th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I tried installing arduino from the repositories but I still get the same error.

mgreensmith
November 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
This compilation error is caused by a conflict with gcc-avr math.h library. See my blog post for a full explanation.

http://mattgreensmith.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/installing-arduino-0023-on-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

Easy fix: find the file
/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h in your arduino install location and comment out the following line (79):

// #define round(x) ((x)>=0?(long)((x)+0.5):(long)((x)-0.5))