PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using a Live CD to upgrade

sideburns
October 17th, 2011, 12:31 AM
My sister uses Ubuntu and currently has 10.10 installed. (I use Fedora, but I'm also her tech support guy.) Right now, her box is off-line because it can't resolve DNS and I can't force it to accept any DNS numbers. I'm wondering if we could resolve this by using a Live CD to upgrade her to a more current version of Ubuntu, after backing up her data. Or, could we use a CD with her version of it to update/repair her installation? I don't want to nuke, pave and reinstall from scratch unless there's no other choice, so I'm examining as many options as possible.

jtmcc
October 17th, 2011, 02:06 AM
You can use a live CD to upgrade, i just did. It resets everything to set up the new version. The only thing is that is cant keep any apps you didn't install via Software center. (A little piece of advice, 11.10 SUCKS, Use 11.04). All of her documents will stay where they were. (Another peice of advice, if shes like me, she will hate Unity, before she logs in, click on her name, before you enter the password, down at the bottom, it will have a drop down menu that says Ubuntu, click on it and select Ubuntu classic, And you can change it back the same way). Tell me how it goes!

sideburns
October 17th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Thanx, I will. With luck, it will also install/reinstall/repair whatever's keeping her networking from working.

jtmcc
October 17th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Hope it works!