PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is the old desktop gui layout gone??

egruber
October 17th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Last time I upgraded, I got this new gui on the desktop which I hated, but I was able to restore the old look by setting some option somewhere ( I forget now where it was).

Now that I am on the latest release, I have that awful gui again. Can I still revert back to the older GUI (the one that had System, Application and Places)? It sounds like you can't, but I wasn't clear on this one. Thanks!!!

peter3
October 17th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I'm currently downloading a server version of Ubuntu 11.10 to see if I can then add GNOME to it to go back to the old system. I'll post again if I have any luck. Of course that won't be an upgrade, but a total rebuild. Nuts.....

oldos2er
October 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM
You can try this to revert to classic gnome: http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/get-classic-start-menu-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/
but Gnome 2 is no longer being developed, which is why Ubuntu is pushing Gnome 3, gnome-shell and Unity.

rene8
October 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Ok, fine; they're not developing gnome 2 anymore.
But gnome 3 is still "too beautiful" to me--BTW, I hate the direction gnome is taking.
What if I don't want side launcher bars, social network integration or window effects and I just want to do (mostly) everything from a terminal (as I always did with gnome 2)?
Installing gnome-panel may be the temporary solution, but not a long term one. I think many linux users need a GUI that keeps things VERY simple and lets us do most of the things ourselves. Isn't it the linux spirit to let the user decide? What then are they _pushing for_ too much graphical stuff, social network integration, etc., when in theory it should "just work"? (isn't that the ubuntu sort-of-slogan?)

tazzarias
October 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm in agreement with Rene8. Not happy with either Unity or Gnome 3's direction, I'm reviewing both Xubuntu and Kubuntu as alternatives, leaning toward Xubuntu for now.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Ubuntu. Unity is a deal-breaker for me.

Slim Odds
October 17th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm in agreement with Rene8. Not happy with either Unity or Gnome 3's direction, I'm reviewing both Xubuntu and Kubuntu as alternatives, leaning toward Xubuntu for now.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Ubuntu. Unity is a deal-breaker for me.

You do realize that Xubuntu and Kubuntu both contain the letters "ubuntu" don't you?

Use whatever interface makes you happy.

tazzarias
October 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM
You do realize that Xubuntu and Kubuntu both contain the letters "ubuntu" don't you?

Use whatever interface makes you happy.

Indeed, and a sad irony it is. The imitation, in this case, is vastly superior to the original. Choice in UI interfaces is never a BAD thing.

shantiq
October 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Unity is like to my mind a fake Mac ridiculous and gimmicky

Desktop-Gnome always best so far for me here too.

egruber
October 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
You can try this to revert to classic gnome: http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/get-classic-start-menu-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/
but Gnome 2 is no longer being developed, which is why Ubuntu is pushing Gnome 3, gnome-shell and Unity.

This worked for me! Thanks very much for the tip!

oldos2er
October 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
You're welcome. If your question is answered please mark the thread as 'Solved' under Thread Tools.

Michl
October 19th, 2011, 01:40 AM
This worked for me! Thanks very much for the tip!
Yes, solved. That did it. Thanks for ubuntuforums!