PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I hate Unity Desktop, Bring back Classic

jadonchristensen
October 17th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I hate the Unity Desktop. It's like it was designed by Fisher Price. Now we have lost Ubuntu Classic and are forced to use Gnome Classic without my applets.

If there is any way to get Ubuntu Classic back, please tell me how.

jnutter
October 17th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I was just about to post the EXACT SAME THING! What were they thinking? Time to look at other Linux distros becuase Ubuntu has lost touch with what the users want.

Frogs Hair
October 17th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Install an older version of Ubuntu or look into other desktop environments . I don't know if " Mate " is ready for use in Ubuntu , but there have been threads about . https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

Starting a thread with " I Hate " may not be the best way to get help or advice . ;)

collisionystm
October 17th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I feel like not many people actually reads the previous threads on this forum. Its the same thing posted every 5 minutes. I cannot wait until this I hate 11.10 and Unity B.S. is over with. Then maybe we can get back to solving real problems.

If you do not like Unity, use Gnome-Shell. If you don't like Gnome or Unity, use xfce. If those 3 fail use KDE. if that does not work..Well, save your money and try a Mac.

jnutter
October 17th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah, cause one thread with one guy saying he hates it would really get the point across to the developers...

:popcorn:

jadonchristensen
October 17th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Or maybe the devs should listen to the users and stop trying to force people to switch to something that is less productive. It's a dumbed down interface. I don't see how this new interface is supposed to be an improvement to Ubuntu, if anything it is a major handicap. Since it is obvious that I am not the only one who is saying this, it would be wise for the devs to listen to what their users want.

collisionystm
October 17th, 2011, 12:48 AM
The dev's are not forcing anyone to switch. My god everyone forgets about Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu. So what if they made Unity?? If you don't like it then switch to another derivative of Ubuntu. Gnome 2 is dead. lets all just move on. There is no sense in beating a dead horse.

pastalavista
October 17th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Or maybe the devs should listen to the users and stop trying to force people to switch to something that is less productive. It's a dumbed down interface. I don't see how this new interface is supposed to be an improvement to Ubuntu, if anything it is a major handicap. Since it is obvious that I am not the only one who is saying this, it would be wise for the devs to listen to what their users want.

The best thing about open source software is that nobody can force anybody to do anything. Windows and OSX do have their limitations, but Ubuntu users have a vast array of Linux options available. There is no credence given to complainers because they have so many options. Someone high up in this community has a quote in his signature, "Linux assumes the user knows exactly what they're doing", or something similar. Ubuntu, now with Unity, is catering to those who don't know, as much as you, maybe, exactly what they're doing. This is breaking new ground. If you don't like it, don't go there.

BrandonC19
October 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Try this.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

jadonchristensen
October 17th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Try this.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Is this different than Gnome Classic, which I am using now or will this bring back the taskbar applets?

jadonchristensen
October 17th, 2011, 01:17 AM
"dev's are not forcing anyone to switch"

The same style of interface has been used for what, over 10 years? People go about their normal upgrade process and whoops, their whole interface is changed. I guess you will just tell them, "you should have read the release notes before upgrading".

Yes, I understand that people can install other Window Managers, etc. However, I don't think that a majority of the people will take the time to research how to do that. Not only that, but those other WMs won't work exactly like Ubuntu Classic did. There are small details and tweaks that I could do using the Classic interface that are not possible or not easily done on another Window Manager. Sure I could go back to 11.04 and be left behind with updates.

The point is that I and many others want what has worked for well over a decade, the Classic interface with it's bells and whistles. I don't want a MAC OS, I don't want a Windows OS on this computer. I want my Ubuntu Classic interface with updates and future releases. Are you telling me that Ubuntu has no pull with the Gnome devs?

Someone mentioned that this new interface would be easier for new users. I don't see it that way. If I was a new user, used to a MS Windows interface, I would run for the hills after seeing Unity. People like classic, intuitive interfaces. I still see people switching their Vista/Win7 machines to classic shells because it works and is more productive.

collisionystm
October 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM
"dev's are not forcing anyone to switch"

The same style of interface has been used for what, over 10 years? People go about their normal upgrade process and whoops, their whole interface is changed. I guess you will just tell them, "you should have read the release notes before upgrading".

Yes, I understand that people can install other Window Managers, etc. However, I don't think that a majority of the people will take the time to research how to do that. Not only that, but those other WMs won't work exactly like Ubuntu Classic did. There are small details and tweaks that I could do using the Classic interface that are not possible or not easily done on another Window Manager. Sure I could go back to 11.04 and be left behind with updates.

The point is that I and many others want what has worked for well over a decade, the Classic interface with it's bells and whistles. I don't want a MAC OS, I don't want a Windows OS on this computer. I want my Ubuntu Classic interface with updates and future releases. Are you telling me that Ubuntu has no pull with the Gnome devs?

Someone mentioned that this new interface would be easier for new users. I don't see it that way. If I was a new user, used to a MS Windows interface, I would run for the hills after seeing Unity. People like classic, intuitive interfaces. I still see people switching their Vista/Win7 machines to classic shells because it works and is more productive.

Okay? So use 10.04 until you are emotionally ready to switch. It is supported until 2013.

jadonchristensen
October 17th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Okay? So use 10.04 until you are emotionally ready to switch. It is supported until 2013.

11.04 has Classic also. It's still not a solution. I want the Ubuntu devs to make a major effort to bring back the interface that so many people want. That may involve them working closer with the Gnome devs.

blinovitch
October 17th, 2011, 02:06 AM
After struggling to find the rhyme or reason in Unity and Gnome Shell for the past two days, installing 10.04 seems more and more attractive. By 2013, I hope the desktop environment scene will have settled down.

collisionystm
October 17th, 2011, 02:12 AM
11.04 has Classic also. It's still not a solution. I want the Ubuntu devs to make a major effort to bring back the interface that so many people want. That may involve them working closer with the Gnome devs.

Look through some entries on here.. you might understand why ubuntu is going the way it is.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/

glennric
October 17th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Is this different than Gnome Classic, which I am using now or will this bring back the taskbar applets?

No. The GNOME Classic login session that you are using is provided by the gnome-session-fallback package. If you are using it then you already have it installed. As to getting back your taskbar applets, most of them are still available, but you will have to set them up again. Your Gnome2 settings won't be migrated to Gnome3 (at least not the panel applet settings).

By the way, what specific applets are you referring to?

drawkcab
October 17th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Although I certainly sympathize and mourn the loss of Gnome 2.x, I don't think crying over it is going to bring it back.

Ubuntu doesn't have the influence over Gnome that some think it does. Furthermore, there are good reasons to set aside Gnome 2.x even though it was just getting good.

I would argue that if you can't stand unity then you should either move to xfce/xubuntu or bite the bullet and get behind Gnome 3 which will be developed heavily over the next year or so. I think that if enough people show interest in developing fallback mode into a Gnome 2.xish DE, then the Gnome developers will respond.

dFlyer
October 17th, 2011, 02:45 AM
You may hate unity, but my advice is to get use to it or gnome shell which I think sucks. From what I understand Classic Gnome is on it's way out and in just a few cycles your choice is either Unity or Gnome Shell. I myself like unity. I know it still has bugs and limited customizations but given time it will mature. Of course with linux you have many choices of Desktop Environments to choose from and there are many distros to choose from. But I'm afraid gnome classic is going to be a thing of the past, unless someone decides to support it.

fixerdave
October 17th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Well... I could start a new whining complaint thread, but I figured I'd just do it here ;)

I'll start by first thanking Cannonical, the Gnome developers, and everyone else that's worked to make Ubuntu so great. I started out with 6.04 and have learned so much over the years. Hey, I even managed to get 11.10 installed without begging for help :)

Seriously, it's been great. I can understand Cannonical's philosophy of providing a distro that tries to keep up without being too bleeding-edge. I can understand the rationale of Unity, what with the younger set being so attached to devices with too-small of screen, but I liked the old Gnome.

I'm not going to whine about how Cannonical should dump Unity and go back to what was. But, I am sincerely hoping that people with developer-type skills and time (because I don't on either score) seriously consider a new derivative: Gubuntu - Ubuntu with a nice, soothing yet functional, old-school Gnome desktop.

Any chance?

coffeecat
October 17th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Let us be clear. Anyone is entitled to dislike the Unity desktop. Anyone is entitled to express their dissatisfaction with it or provide criticism, so long as this is constructive. However, repetitive carping about Unity, particularly in support forums, is considered trolling and will be dealt with as such. Debate about the relative merits of desktop environments, so long as it respects the CoC, should be confined to the non-support areas of the forum. Sniping at any feature of any operating system in the technical support categories is corrosive and corrupts the friendly atmosphere most members of the forum would like to see.

@OP, if you have any specific support issues you want help with, please start a new thread.

Since the OP's question about getting a classic desktop appears to have been answered...

Thread closed.