PDA

View Full Version : Script to populate files

MaindotC
October 16th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to touch a list of filenames and then populate them with contents from another file - 1 line per new filename.

For example, the list of filenames (file_list.txt) would contain this:

server1.mydomain.com_oracle
server11.mydomain.com_sybase
server85.mydomain.com_adobe
server86.mydomain.com_trimark
server91.mydomain.com_credit

And when I execute the script it would create the file and populate it with 1 line from a list of entries (entries.txt):

oracle:x:12:3000:oracle, created 10/10/11:/home/oracle:/bin/bash
sybase:x:19:5000:sybase create 10/7/11:/opt/sybase:/bin/csh
adobe:x:43:700:adobe, system account:/opt/adobe:/bin/bash
trimark:x:91:700:trimark system account:/opt/trimark:/bin/bash
credit:x:99:5001:credit, created 10/1/11:/home/credit/:/bin/csh

What I want to achieve is for the script to read the first line of file_list.txt, which would be server1.mydomain.com_oracle, create a file by that name, then echo the associative line of text from entries.txt into that that file - server1.mydomain.com_oracle. So, the result would look like this:

Filename Contents

server1.mydomain.com_oracle oracle:x:12:3000:oracle, created 10/10/11:/home/oracle:/bin/bash
server11.mydomain.com_sybase sybase:x:19:5000:sybase create 10/7/11:/opt/sybase:/bin/csh
server85.mydomain.com_adobe adobe:x:43:700:adobe, system account:/opt/adobe:/bin/bash
server86.mydomain.com_trimark trimark:x:91:700:trimark system account:/opt/trimark:/bin/bash
server91.mydomain.com_credit credit:x:99:5001:credit, created 10/1/11:/home/credit/:/bin/csh

The filenames and contents are arbitrary but that is the gist of what I'm trying to accomplish. I have to upload a list of /etc/passwd entries daily and they have to be in a file named relative to the server where the /etc/passwd entry goes.

Vaphell
October 17th, 2011, 12:49 AM
are these identifiers (oracle, sybase, ...) unique or should one expect that the order in both files matches?
if they are unique then this should do

#!/bin/bash

while read f
do
echo file: "$f"
id="${f##*_}"
content=$( grep -E "^$id:" entries.txt )
echo content: "$content"
echo "$content" > "$f"
done < file_list.txt

MaindotC
October 17th, 2011, 01:07 AM
are these identifiers (oracle, sybase, ...) unique or should one expect that the order in both files matches?
if they are unique then this should do

#!/bin/bash

while read f
do
id="${f##*_}"
content=$( grep -E "^$id:" entries.txt )
echo "$content" > "$f"
done < file_list.txt

The should match the order in both files. Perhaps this is better but each line of the file_list.txt should match an entry in entries.txt for populating. What I was going to do is just duplicate the filename in file_list.txt if there was a file that should contain more than 1 entry. I'll test this out.

Thank you for this - let me just see if I can grasp what it is doing:

"while read f" means "do this while there is something in f" and I believe "f" is whatever value I pass into the script?

do echo file: "$f" - means create a file named whatever is stored in f at that time?

What does the reverse bracket mean? For example, I'm used to executing something and outputting the result into a file using ">". What does it mean that you have "< file_list.txt" - does that mean file_list.txt is in the input - each line being passed in for f?

Thanks.

Vaphell
October 17th, 2011, 01:23 AM
while .... done < file_list.txt means that the while loop is fed with data from a file_list.txt and each iteration corresponds to a single line. If you want to do input-output thingie with files, you can do while .... done < input.file > output.file

read f here means get the current piece of data and put it in variable f (so f = line from file)

echo file: "$f" only prints text to stdout so you get a visual feedback, it's entirely superficial for what you need. Same thing with the echo content: "$content" line

id is a substring of f remaining part after removing _ with anything preceding it, so in theory it should contain identifier from the end of filename

content is a variable that holds a line from entries.txt that matches ^IDENTIFIER: (^ being start of line)

echo "$content" > "$f" is the actual line that does what you want - it echoes $content but redirects it to file with name equal to value of f ( > $f )

MaindotC
October 17th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Thank you for this - you've got me on a good start. I'm not receiving the desired result. I keep getting:

./cr_id: line 6: f##*_: command not found

I changed the following to get part-way there:

content=$(grep -E "^$id:" entries.txt)

To:

content=$(cat entries.txt)

However that put all entries into every file from file_list.txt. Any chance you can make it just pop the first line of entries.txt into the first file created from file_list.txt, and repeat for each line of file_list.txt? Each file should have 1 line from entries.txt in it (for now).

Vaphell
October 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
which shell do you use?

#!/bin/bash

lnum=0
while read f
do
echo "#$(( ++lnum ))"
# id="${f##*_}"
# id=$( echo "$f" | sed -r 's/.*_(.*)$/\1/' )
# echo id: $id
# content=$( grep -E "^$id:" entries.txt )
content=$( awk ' NR=='$lnum' { print $0 }' entries.txt )
echo "$content" > "$f"
echo -------------------------------
done < file_list.txt

in the commented part there is an alternative to ${f##*_} using $( echo | sed ) combo, you can check that out. It's commented because i get content with awk and line number (NR) which is paramertized with lnum variable acting as a loop counter.

sisco311
October 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
You can read multiple files line by line with a single loop:

while read -ru 6 filename && read -ru 7 content
do
printf '%s\n' "$content" > "$filename"
done 6< file_list 7< entries

MaindotC
October 26th, 2011, 04:49 AM
which shell do you use?

#!/bin/bash

lnum=0
while read f
do
echo "#$(( ++lnum ))"
# id="${f##*_}"
echo "$content" > "$f"
done < file_list.txt

in the commented part there is an alternative to ${f##*_} using $( echo | sed ) combo, you can check that out. It's commented because i get content with awk and line number (NR) which is paramertized with lnum variable acting as a loop counter.

I think this is it :) It's going to take me a bit to become familiar with some of this syntax but in the meantime this will save me the mind-numbing task of populating about 150 files every two days - copying them from an excel sheet into a for loop to vi each filename in a list of filenames :) Thank you very much for your assistance.

MaindotC
October 26th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Ok so let me see if I understand this - check my comments:

#!/bin/bash

#initialize variable "lnum" to 0 as it will be used as a counter
lnum=0

#while there is something in the file being passed in as "f"
while read f
do

#print the current value of lnum incremented by 1
echo "#$(( ++lnum ))"

#print the filename being created

# id="${f##*_}"

#Little confused here
#initialise the variable content to the value of the expression.
#I believe NR has something to do with printing the number of #records and is this some sort of a condition? If the number of #records is equal to the value of lnum print $0 which would be #nothing? Or is this looking for the line of entries.txt that
#has nothing so it will end?

#print the value of content that this iteration

#print the value of content into a text file named after the #current line in f that is being read
echo "$content" > "$f"

#accept file_list.txt as the input - it will serve as the values #of f at the given iteration
done < file_list.txt

It's commented because i get content with awk and line number (NR) which is paramertized with lnum variable acting as a loop counter.

Still a little unclear about the NR. I'm reading up more on it at this time.

Vaphell
October 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM
NR is simply an index of the record (record = line by default, but by defining record separators you can change it), first line NR=1, 10th line NR=10. Awk simply picks the N=th line from file.

either way, use sisco's idea. It will read corresponding lines from two files at once without any hassle.