PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 broken - startx broken - auto logon enabled.... HELP!

juliancam
October 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi. without thinking it through I upgraded to 11.10. It was only afterwards when I had messed everything up that I remembered my system can't run unity3D. So here I am with a broken system looking for any help before I do a clean reload. During my "brain switched off" period I had 11.10 working as gnome classic from the user logon screen but I enabled auto logon ( yea I know, why did I do that :confused: ) and for a short while I got Unity running jerkily with lots of screen freezes via Startx running under ctl-alt-F1 ( recovery mode?) but I couldn't get auto logon turned off. My current status is auto logon enabled and startx refusing to start because it is waiting for a response. Is there any way from ctl-alt-F1 to get either gnome classic made the default start up or to get user logon enabled so that I can select classic at user logon?

Julian

juliancam
October 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Finally solved it myself. From command line I had to modify the /etc/gdm/custom.conf file so that the auto login key reads false instead of true. This allowed me to reboot back into gnome classic. Not sure whether I will stay with 11.10 though as it is an extra stage to go through changing to classic at login and the system feels slower - higher OS load I suppose.

Julian