PDA

View Full Version : How do you shut your PC down?

galacticaboy
October 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
So I want to know, how do you shut your PC down? Let me know and tell me why!
Me, I use the "Shut Down" option. Vary rarely do I do a hard shutdown.

FreeTheBee
October 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
My main pc I seldomnly turn off. My netbook I shutdown with sudo halt, since it runs awesome wm and has no gui shutdown option.

Thewhistlingwind
October 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
In gnome-shell: sudo shutdown now

In just about anything else: The shutdown button.

SoFl W
October 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I Climb the telephone pole down the street and cut power to half the block.

dpny
October 16th, 2011, 08:45 PM

Awesome.

Megaptera
October 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM

So that's who it is!!

westie457
October 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Tried that. Got the wrong half!!!!!

23dornot23d
October 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I just wait for SoFI W to climb the telephone pole .....

kaldor
October 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM
In gnome-shell: sudo shutdown now

In just about anything else: The shutdown button.

Click the menu in the top right. Hold the alt key and watch as the "Suspend" option turns into "Shut Down".

I love Shell, but this is a nonsensical UI decision.

HermanAB
October 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
# uptime
05:11:46 up 719 days, 16:18, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I haven't found the shutdown button yet...

Atamisk
October 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM
# uptime
05:11:46 up 719 days, 16:18, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I haven't found the shutdown button yet...

>_>

For myself, i usually use sudo halt.

Nyromith
October 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I'm just saying "Shut the !@#$ down!", and he obeys.

el_koraco
October 16th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I gave my account no password privileges for /sbin/poweroff, and aliased hlt to sudo poweroff, so I type in hlt. But I mostly reboot, I only shutdown when I'm going on a trip or something.

cgroza
October 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I use the OS shutdown button in Unity. In Slackware I do sudo halt from my emacs terminal.

keithpeter
October 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hello All

I went for "Shutdown" Option from your OS?

I use dmenu with dwm on this Debian Squeeze box. I've made a short script in /usr/bin that runs sudo shutdown, and I have altered the sudoers file to add

MYADMINS ALL= NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWN

So now I invoke shutdown in the same way that I invoke any other program via dmenu. (Super-P shut...). Guess that counts as the OS Option :twisted:

PS: I use hibernate a lot more, like to keep the window layouts.

Zeta-K
October 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I have a pressure pad on my chair that sends a signal to my computer. As long as I'm sitting in front of it, it stays on, but if I'm gone for more than 30 minutes, it hibernates. It also wakes when I sit on it.

Got the idea while rustling through components at Radioshack.

Thewhistlingwind
October 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I have a pressure pad on my chair that sends a signal to my computer. As long as I'm sitting in front of it, it stays on, but if I'm gone for more than 30 minutes, it hibernates. It also wakes when I sit on it.

Got the idea while rustling through components at Radioshack.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Zeta-K
October 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Is there a way to change your vote? I clicked the wrong one.

Zeta-K
October 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.
I'll get to that once I'm actually home.

ilovelinux33467
October 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I shut mine down by going to Kickoff menu -> Leave tab -> Shut down.

gsmanners
October 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I don't even turn off my monitor anymore. My computer is just *always there* (kind of creepy if you think about it).

Plumtreed
October 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
All my PCs r laptops or netbooks so....I just close the lid!

LinuxFan999
October 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I always use the shutdown option in the OS, Unless the system is running Windows and is frozen.

aura7
October 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
sometimes when I am on terminal I shutdown using

shutdown -h now

Leaf
October 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM
sudo shutdown -h now for a cold boot, -r for restart.
Ususally if I have to do this, I'm in a terminal session when I bork up X... again.

Copper Bezel
October 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I use the session menu to restart, such as after kernel updates, or to suspend with screenlock enabled. I have my netbook running with the lid closed for music all the damned time, so the lid does nothing and the power button is set to suspend, without screenlock.

The last time my machine was "off" off was to boot into a gparted Live CD because, due to poor planning, I ran out of space on /.

user_linux08
October 16th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I sing the "Hava Nagilah". And it goes off.

Seriously. I have noticed on my Dell vostro 1400, when I click on the "shut down",(top right of the screen) - no response.It just ignores the command.

Normally I close the lid and it goes to sleep.

pjd99
October 16th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Usually by Gnome's shutdown, either using the mouse or pressing the power button once + enter.

When 64-bit flash is wigging out, it's usually hold power button for 4 seconds (or unplug and remove the battery).

In terminal session, either
sudo shutdown now or
sudo init 0

Rarely suspend or hibernate, it's never been very reliable when using proprietary drivers.

Wampyra
October 16th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I press that nice (|) power button and wait for a nice pop up screen and then shut down :popcorn:

michaelcarey95
October 16th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I hit the hardware power button and an option pops up and I hit shutdown. :popcorn:

I have a laptop.

speedwell68
October 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I just choose press the power button and choose shutdown from the resulting pop up box. I used to be someone that never turned the computer off, but in these austere times with rising energy costs I turn it off over night.

wolfen69
October 17th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I seed torrents 24/7, therefore never shutdown.

8_Bit
October 17th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I shut down my PC the old fashion way, by choosing pressing the Shut Down button on the screen.

I'm very environmentally conscious so I try not to leave my computer on when I'm not using it.

Linuxratty
October 17th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I shut down my PC the old fashion way, by choosing pressing the Shut Down button on the screen.

I'm very environmentally conscious so I try not to leave my computer on when I'm not using it.

Same here,although I do like the telephone pole idea.:)

harry821
October 17th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I always use the shutdown option in the OS, Unless the system is running Windows and is frozen.
I did that in Windows too, especially when the Windows update in progress when I wanted to shutdown.

MooPi
October 17th, 2011, 07:17 AM
The first thing I do is brew a pot of coffee and pour a tall hot mug of Java and sip it down. After some deep contemplation I figure that it's time to meditate and consider my reason for existence and the meaning of the deep expanse that is the cosmos.Then there's time for cookies and the last bit of coffee from the pot. Finally I right click on an empty space on the desktop and select "shutdown". Aren't you glad you asked ?

Rodney9
October 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I like it that in Xubuntu that I only have to click once to shut down.

pbpersson
October 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I always use the "shutdown" option in the OS. I was told that in order to speed disc operations the CPU reads from and writes to disk cache in memory. If the power is shut off when the disk cache has not been refreshed on the physical disk, corruption can result.

In the present day we use journaling file systems such as EXT3/EXT4 and NTFS which I believe can recover from this but I try not to ask for trouble if I can avoid it.

Flymo
October 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
In mainstream Linux I use the GUI to Shutdown or Suspend, rarely to Hibernate.

In Android Froyo I hold the power button to get the menu, select power-off, since suspend is just a tap of the power button.

In Windows I have found this neat command-line method:

FORMAT C:

:guitar:

szymon_g
October 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
unless there is an important update /kernel, graphic drivers etc/ i do not shutdown computer- i just hibernate it. it's much quicker to get it up&running from hibernation than doing "proper" start.

andras artois
October 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Double tap the power button on the machine it's self which shuts it down normally. Running Win 7 so don't know if it does the same on Ubuntu.

ubupirate
October 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The normal way, as to not damage my hardware.

ratcheer
October 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I voted Shut Down Option from the OS, and that is what I usually do. But, occasionally, if I have a terminal window right there, I do "sudo init 0".

Tim

BrokenKingpin
October 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I do a proper shutdown from the OS. There really is no excuse for a hard shutdown unless your system is completely unresponsive. I turn all my PCs and laptops off at night, but I leave my media server running 24/7 (unless I need to reboot for a kernel update).

Lucradia
October 17th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm good to my computer. I use the shutdown option.

However, I only do hard shutdowns if my computer perma-hangs at shutting down.

Or if my BIOS hangs for some odd reason.

ubupirate
October 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM
There really is no excuse for a hard shutdown unless your system is completely unresponsive.

Indeed, which is why I tend to avoid doing such things. Hard shutdowns = actuator arm/head slams up against the spindle = hardware failure incoming.

Shazaam
October 18th, 2011, 12:38 AM
This works...
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BALL+PEIN+HAMMERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=54-732&SDesc=32+oz%2E+Jacketed+Graphite+Ball+Pein+Hammer

:)

Desert Sailor
October 18th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Having just upgraded to 11.10, I now throw the whole damn thing off the balcony in a fit of frustrated rage.

thatguruguy
October 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I just hit it with my fist until it surrenders.

Shazaam
October 18th, 2011, 05:01 AM
This works...
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=BALL+PEIN+HAMMERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=54-732&SDesc=32+oz%2E+Jacketed+Graphite+Ball+Pein+Hammer

:)

Opps wrong tags thanks CharlesA.

Atamisk
October 18th, 2011, 05:06 AM
recently i have to use the big bad button... sudo halt seem to hang occasionally with my not-so-supported kernel. ah well, it unmounts the filesystems before it hangs, so no harm done really.