PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to install ubuntu-desktop

el_anticuado
October 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I've just installed Ubuntu server 11.10 in Virtualbox (on my Windows 7 PC), and the installation was successful. However, I can't seem to install any GUI (Unity, Gnome3, KDE). Here are the commands that I've tried:

1) sudo apt-get update
2) sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

After the system gets many files, I see 'Failed to fetch ...'. I also tried

apt-get update --fix-missing

with no luck. Have also tried installing gnome3 via the command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

but this produces the similar "Failed to fetch .." error messages.

Would appreciate help fix this issue.

MAFoElffen
October 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I've just installed Ubuntu server 11.10 in Virtualbox (on my Windows 7 PC), and the installation was successful. However, I can't seem to install any GUI (Unity, Gnome3, KDE). Here are the commands that I've tried:

1) sudo apt-get update
2) sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

After the system gets many files, I see 'Failed to fetch ...'. I also tried

apt-get update --fix-missing

with no luck. Have also tried installing gnome3 via the command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

but this produces the similar "Failed to fetch .." error messages.

Would appreciate help fix this issue.
Since you are doing VirtualBox in Windows7...
- You just installed the OS. Close it down.
- Ensure that Win7 has no background updates going on.
- Restart your Virtual Machine.
- Install the virtual Additions.
- Ensure you have an Internet connection:

ping http://www.google.com
On losing your internet connection, I notice that happening evry once in a while with Win7. Most of the time it seems to happen while it tries to do background updates.

//
From here you can either try to use apt-get or aptitude... Since you are having problems and have Server installed, I would use the vga (somewhat graphical) version of aptitude... Aptitude is smarter than apt-get as it relates to dependencies. You can use aptitude from the commandline just like apt-get --or-- you can use the vga interface.

The VGA interface brings it into the realm of a synaptic on Desktop for Servers that have basic graphics.

- You can start Aptitude by:

sudo aptitude
*** I've done this- various desktops installed on Server --and-- server services installed on Desktop... What is your "goal?"

el_anticuado
October 17th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. They provided a very good "clue" to the root cause of the problem -- which was the Network settings in the Oracle VirtualBox.

After I corrected the Attached to setting from NAT to Bridged Adapter and selected the connected ethernet controller, then the apt-get update worked fine -- and I was able to install the Ubuntu desktop GUI.

My installation issue is fully RESOLVED -- Thanks again.

Dark Stain
November 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM
hi, I also have a similar problem I'm trying to install a GUI in my Ubuntu server 11.10 but I can't I downloaded the GUI and its in my usb flash how do I install from there?, the GUI is AfterStep. also I cant seem to update im using proxy server but I dont know how to set it up.

raja.genupula
November 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
hi, I also have a similar problem I'm trying to install a GUI in my Ubuntu server 11.10 but I can't I downloaded the GUI and its in my usb flash how do I install from there?, the GUI is AfterStep. also I cant seem to update im using proxy server but I dont know how to set it up.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-configure-ubuntu-desktop-to-use-your-proxy-server.html

Dark Stain
November 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM
thanks raja and I have a question. What does this error mean? err http.... something wicked happened hostname cannot ...