PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubiquity: Choose mirrors to install from

mexicanseaf00d
October 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I tried shiny new Oneiric (ubuntu, xubuntu) but I was extremely disappointed with it - apart from starting nicely fast, the simplest things were suddenly broken (alsa, random muting, broken systrays.. the list goes on and on!). After a day now I gave up on that unholy mess that is Unity and Gnome3, reinstalling 11.04 xubuntu right now.

11.10 and installation went without problems, EXCEPT the insanely slow at.archive.ubuntu.com mirror(s). And that is not just now, when everyone grabs his copy of 11.10 - its ALWAYS at dial-up speeds. I think it's http://ubuntu.lagis.at/ who is the main offender.

So my question is: how can I tell the Installer which mirror to choose? Living in Austria, it wisely chooses to use the nearest mirror, which is horribly broken since 10.04 IIRC!

I tried setting up 'Main Servers' in Live system's Synaptic, then start the Installer. But that does not work (I believe it worked on previous releases though). Installing without network connection does work, and I can then choose to update from preferred sources. Then I'd have to reinstall language support (which is downloaded during installation).

What's the point in such a slow mirror? Is there any way to voice that problem to the 'officials' in charge of mirrors?