PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10: Guest Session is not working - I get a blank/black screen

jammaj
October 16th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I am getting a blank screen when I log into a Guest session on 11.10. However, when I click on the screen, the blackness dissipates and I can see little bits of the purple Ubuntu background. Same when I go to the launcher on the left side of the screen, or use any menus. I use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to logout, and a lot of the screen becomes clear - however all of the menus are covered in black. How can I fix this?

My computer is in a public place, so I want guest sessions to be available to others.

Thanks

fnadde42
October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

EDIT: I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD6950 1024MB Windforce OC

slapthorn
October 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
same here
hp dv6 laptop
ati graphics 64bit amd

Linux User 2011
October 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I got a blank screen also. Using Dell Studio XPS 7100 with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Card. Wanted to let my kids play on the computer without chance of something being deleted.

slapthorn
October 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM
...an update.

clicking right-mouse on the black (guest) screen causes part of the desktop menu to show (a partial screen refresh) and part of the content is displayed.

Applications seem to be running (if you guess where the menus and buttons are) but the windows/panels are not being displayed correctly.

jammaj
October 30th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I wander if this is a problem with ATI Radeon cards? I have one as well.

wshruti
October 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Same here... I have it as a virtual machine running on VMware Workstation... I have tried to revert to various snapshot to look more precisely whats causing the problem.. All I can say is, after installing the recommended updates for 11.10 I get the issue...