PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PC stopped working after the upgrade to 11.10

eGaurav
October 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I was using ubuntu 11.04 and after the realease of 11.10 I thought of upgrading it.
I opened the upgrade manager and started upgrade.
It had to do following things:
http://static.howtoforge.com/images/upgrade_ubuntu_11.04_to_11.10/8.jpg

My PC was performing the 'Installing the upgrades things, that suddenly the screen seemed turned off, but it was ON.
I thought it's normal as after not using or like 15-20 minutes, the screen goes off automatically.
But this wasn't the case. After sometime system was shut down automatically. I reastarted it, I can see a black screen and some function written like
start bluetooth
start modem
ec
Is there any solution/?
If not how can I completely remove Ubuntu? Just it was earlier, befor installing Ubuntu.
I have windows in dual boot.
I'll also need a comprehensive uide o installing 11.10 after the Ubuntu is compleely removed.

zvacet
October 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM
If you want to reinstall just install 11.10 on same partition where previous Ubuntu installation was.Of course put all your valuable files somewhere at the safe.

eGaurav
October 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
How can I transfer those files in there? Since Linux is not starting up, I think I 've lost them.

Leaf
October 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM
you could start from a LiveCD or LiveUSB and access the files that way. Hope your home dir was not encrypted!

hansdown
October 17th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hi, eGaurav.

Leaf has some good advice.

If your data was not overwritten, you can recover it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15761/recover-data-like-a-forensics-expert-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd/

Try this. Hope it helps.

eGaurav
October 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thank you for the reply Leaf, but that didn't worked for me. :(

Thank you hansdown,will try yourhowtogeek way soon.

Can anyone help me how to customize the look of Ubntu? I want it too look like say windows.
Actually there is a lot of time is lost in using the the left pane launcher. I have to always take my mouse pointer there and wait for the pane to come u. Windows task bar in the bottom is my thing. And there is no way I can find to have shortcuts :(