PDA

View Full Version : How fast is Ubuntu One?

ki4jgt
October 16th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I may upgrade after all. I found a flash drive to use with my netbook. I only have the problem of 4 gigs of mp3 files to deal with. :-( How fast is Ubuntuone at uploading these files? Is there a cap? Also, with upgrading being so hectic right now, will they even be able to upload?

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I am having problems with upload right now as well. I am not sure if this problem is exclusive to 11.10.

EDIT: I moved all my files to a normal folder and I am moving them back to Ubuntu One folder, one by one, waiting each file to upload. Seems to be working now.

sffvba[e0rt
October 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I may upgrade after all. I found a flash drive to use with my netbook. I only have the problem of 4 gigs of mp3 files to deal with. :-( How fast is Ubuntuone at uploading these files? Is there a cap? Also, with upgrading being so hectic right now, will they even be able to upload?

Well, Ubuntu One is normally pretty fast and your cap is 5GB with the free account...

ki4jgt
October 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I am having problems with upload right now as well. I am not sure if this problem is exclusive to 11.10.

EDIT: I moved all my files to a normal folder and I am moving them back to Ubuntu One folder, one by one, waiting each file to upload. Seems to be working now.

Mine's not that slow (54 KB/s). I have plenty of bandwidth to do what I need to do with my files. I just haven't used cloud based services before. I keep expecting it to be like some web hosting site that cuts your site off after you reach a certain bandwidth. Especially since it's free and I have 2.5 gigs of data.

Anyway, I did the math last night when I started uploading. I had 17 hours to wait then (If my math was correct on 40 KB/s). I guess it's time to go for a nice jog :-)

EDIT: It's nice to know you can have 5 gigs of data with no caps. Thanks Ubuntu. :-)

BeRoot ReBoot
October 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I've had consistently bad experience with ubuntu one. Files randomly not syncing. The sync daemon taking several minutes to start. Uploading and downloading proceeding at a snail's pace after that. (I have a 20/20 Mbit/s connection). It's back to Dropbox for me.

galacticaboy
October 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I have had no problems with Ubuntu One. Although, on pre 11.04 such as 10.04 and 10.10 it was quite slow, but on 11.04 and 11.10 I found it to be pleasantly fast.

krapp
October 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
On 11.04 I find Ubuntu One mindbendingly slow. Actually, I have no idea what it's really ever doing, which might be its greatest flaw, and the local (desktop) statuses usually don't match the one.ubuntu.com account status. It's a nice service, and a wonderful way to share files, but the protocol seems to be very lacking.

ki4jgt
October 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Well, it's said my cloud was at 385 for the last 3 or 4 hours and I really need my music backed up. The laptop's data transfer light hasn't stopped blinking since I started the service but the reported data size in the service has stayed the same :-( Are there any other services which offer 5 gigs for free storage?

krapp
October 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I don't think so, which is why it's so useful for Ubuntu users: it's already installed! I just think of it as a poor man's more bountiful Dropbox.

Only if there was a way to monitor transfer status. I've seen a progress bar overlaid occasionally on the taskbar icon, but it's very cryptic.

keithpeter
October 16th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hello ki4jgt

My netbook has an SD card slot. If yours has, any chance of borrowing a 4 or 8 GB SD card from a local photographer/friend/relative?

Cloud only backup just seems so risky to me...

ki4jgt
October 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hello ki4jgt

My netbook has an SD card slot. If yours has, any chance of borrowing a 4 or 8 GB SD card from a local photographer/friend/relative?

Cloud only backup just seems so risky to me...

That's why I've avoided it for the last 4 years. :-( Unfortunately, I was the one lending out all my storage mediums this time. No one has bothered to return them over the past year and now I'm stuck with nothing except this 5 gig storage onine :-(. I already don't like the fact that I'm uploading all my files over PUBLIC wifi, but UOne says they're encrypted from computer to cloud so, that's a little better to know :-( but not much.