PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Desktop style custom changes?

securitymeddler
October 16th, 2011, 06:17 AM
A buddy of mine is switching off 10.04 to 11.10. I also am having my first experience with the new style of the desktop (I had 11.04, but used the "classic" login.)

He's partially disabled in his left eye so we need to move the dock/launcher thing from the left side to the right. Also I need to make the icons jump out. Give more visual and audio (if possible) feedback for him to notice the mouse over event. So far not finding anything on how to do this?

I am sure there is an option in the setting fort he side bar, but for the life of me I can't find it.

In his current setup we use docky with the zooming option across the bottom, kinda MacOS knockoff really. But he loves it.

Thanks in advance!

Vaphell
October 16th, 2011, 06:23 AM
forget about using the default ubuntu desktop then - everything is pretty much hardcoded (top bar, left side launcher bar, etc) and the chances of seeing any substantial customization in a foreseeable future are rather slim.
Your best bet would be to test gnome3 fallback mode or xfce or lxde combined with some standalone dock app, like AWN, Docky, Cairo.

hansdown
October 16th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hi securitymeddler.

You could try,

orca

It comes preinstalled with 11.10.

Not sure, how to move the launcher.

securitymeddler
October 18th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Ah, that's too bad.

I suppose I'll have him stick with 10.04 until the new sidebar has matured more.

Thanks again!

hansdown
October 18th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Probably best, securitymeddler.

Hope all goes well, with your friend.

securitymeddler
October 21st, 2011, 08:25 PM
He stuck with old version. So no biggie. Would have been nice to upgrade though.

But I went ahead and started working with Xubuntu. Not much...if any faster. But I like the interface more I think. That is one thing I like about Linux, lots of choices!

hansdown
October 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM
Xubuntu is very good,securitymeddler.

Like anything new, it takes time to learn.

Hope it works for you.