PDA

View Full Version : IT of the Occupation: Tux

earthpigg
October 16th, 2011, 06:12 AM
At least local to me, Tux seems to have a strong presence - strongly preferred over Windows.

Article about the IT infrastructure at the San Francisco occupation (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/13/occupysf_bofh_protest_pedal_power/page2.html) is absolutely fascinating:

OccupySF BOFH runs protest network on pedal power
Protest IT staff running ultimate bare-bones system

The encampment has a rolling population of second-hand netbooks, laptops, and tablets, strung together with ad hoc networking, and carefully power managed.

“We’d love to get an Apple, because a lot of the software we’re used to is on the Mac,” one said. “Linux machines are always nice, given Linux is having the same revolutionary effect on the industry as we are on society, but even Windows machines would be a help.”

(...)

It should be possible to rig up some kind of basic Wi-Fi connection if there were a friendly hotspot owner nearby – but given that the protestors are in the heart of the Financial District, that seems unlikely.

(...)

The team is using off-the-shelf LTE hotspots running WPA2, donated to the cause early on, for access. However one clever coder has managed to jailbreak an EVO handset to turn it into an eight node hub, although in effect only about four people can use it at any one time without bringing the device’s speeds below a usable threshold.

And, more local to me (http://occupymarin.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=55):

Occupy Marin Needs:

(...)

As we build our communications team we could use some used "older laptops" PCs preferred (for linux open source conversion)

(...)

Keep the politics out of the thread, folks, stick to the IT side of things.

This type of scenario with unreliable power, unreliable internet connections, etc etc, seems to be an area where the flexibility of our good penguin friend can shine.

Dangertux
October 16th, 2011, 07:41 AM
At least local to me, Tux seems to have a strong presence - strongly preferred over Windows.

Article about the IT infrastructure at the San Francisco occupation (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/13/occupysf_bofh_protest_pedal_power/page2.html) is absolutely fascinating:

And, more local to me (http://occupymarin.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=55):

Keep the politics out of the thread, folks, stick to the IT side of things.

This type of scenario with unreliable power, unreliable internet connections, etc etc, seems to be an area where the flexibility of our good penguin friend can shine.

Well due to the nature of open source software and the specificity of this group's needs Linux/BSD are great choices out of the gate. I will admit their set up has some pretty cool hacks involved, though I don't quite understand the point.

earthpigg
October 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Well due to the nature of open source software and the specificity of this group's needs Linux/BSD are great choices out of the gate. I will admit their set up has some pretty cool hacks involved, though I don't quite understand the point.

The point of the thread, or of the hacks?

I censored out some of the reasons for some of the hacks to avoid having the thread closed. Feel free to follow the links.

As for the thread?

Could be summarized as: "Wow, Linux making things happen in a place I didn't expect to see it. Cool."

San Fran Bay Area has a very high per capita Apple ownership rate, and that would seem on the surface to be absolutely anathema to embracing Linux. I don't have hard documentation to back that per-capita claim up, but I've been around and observed people interacting with technology on both US coasts, spent a few years in Europe and the Middle East, and that's the unscientific conclusion that I long ago came to: SF Bay Area people love their Apple i_____, and it doesn't matter what the i____ is so long as it is preceded by Apple. (I have no idea about what people do with technology in the flyover states. I've mostly only flown over them.)