PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as an Ubuntu kernel builder?

nolag
October 16th, 2011, 02:10 AM
One of the things that I think is great about open source is that you can compile your own version of it. With that in mind, I am thinking that there should be (if there is not already) a kernel compiler that will check your system settings and optimize the build for it with a simple click. Is there anything like that? So it can download the most recent stable kernel source and compile it for me and my computer, then switch my kernel to it. If not, I wonder if it is doable. Any thoughts anyone?

Frogs Hair
October 16th, 2011, 02:27 AM
You could look into this project . http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2011, 02:29 AM
That would be close to useless. Despite what some Gentoo fanatics will tell you, the benefit of compiling your own everything, including the kernel, is just not worth the hassle.

el_koraco
October 16th, 2011, 02:31 AM
One of the things that I think is great about open source is that you can compile your own version of it. With that in mind, I am thinking that there should be (if there is not already) a kernel compiler that will check your system settings and optimize the build for it with a simple click.

make oldconfig

Atamisk
October 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
That would be close to useless. Despite what some Gentoo fanatics will tell you, the benefit of compiling your own everything, including the kernel, is just not worth the hassle.

Sure there's use. the only reason i was able to get full non-proprietary support for my wireless card was to compile kernel 3.1. Plus, it's fun.

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Sure there's use. the only reason i was able to get full non-proprietary support for my wireless card was to compile kernel 3.1.

You didn't have to compile it. ;)

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.1-rc9-oneiric/

Plus, it's fun.

It gets old VERY quickly. In about 6 months.

Atamisk
October 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Oh... well then yeah, use the PPA! didn't know it existed.

I'll still compile though, because it's still fun for me.I get a perverse sense of satisfaction by appending strange things to the -custom part of the version string.