PDA

View Full Version : Is HDMI the next common graphics standard?

Ceiber Boy
October 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
HDMI seams to a strange choose for displaying pc graphics. The only advantage I can see would be if you were connecting your pc to a HD TV and the graphics card was capable of supporting the audio. Having said that I don't think that integrated video and graphics should be the future for the pc, although I suspect that that's the way it will go!

For pc graphics DVI-D I think is a better standard to follow. Even in accordance with the spirit of ubuntu where DVI is royalty free where HDMI is not royalty free and is encumbered with DRM.

Do you think that the next common pc graphics connection should be HDMI, or should we stick stick with DVI?

Lucradia
October 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
For PC Graphics, HDMI is definitely not going to replace DVI / D-Sub anytime soon. My 22 inch samsung LED cannot display via HDMI through mt GTX 470 without serious overscan issues for resolutions higher than 1360 x 768, even though the display can handle over that when 1080i is set. The auto-adjustment feature does not work on HDMI.

So no, HDMI will not be the new standard. if anything, Displayport will be, since it's starting to creep into more Teles / monitors, very, very slowly.

del_diablo
October 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I agree with Lucradia, displayport will become the new emperor that will dethrone the VGA connector.
And it will still not be good enough.

As for DVI:
Its a horrible horrible interface. The good point is that its common, the reason its bad is that its limited to 60 Hz refresh. And the it enforces a bandwidht limit.
Its also way to large and clunky.