PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu feels slow after 11.10 update

Richbuntu
October 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I recently updated my Ubuntu to the latest 11.10 version. For some reason since the update Ubuntu reacts slowly, for example when I drag a window there is a delay in the movement, when I write text it takes time for it to appear and more. However, when I use Gnome 3 instead of Unity when I log in the computer is as snappy as usual.

james@finnall.net
October 16th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I am finding the same issue here. Just trying to play a game like Mahjong is incredibly slow. I click on four or six tiles and it looks like nothing happening, then all of them disappear at once. Never had this problem with 10.04 or 11.04.

When I run "top" from CLI I see a process called "compiz" using 5 - 10 % CPU constantly at the very top. Also using 5 - 8 % of memory. I understand compiz has something to do with window management. I tried dropping the virtual desktops back to 4. Currently set to 9. I thought maybe it is causing some kind of performance issue with the graphics. But it didn't change anything. Just trying to play a game was still real slow.

Every now and then I get a real light orange rectangle over part of the screen as well from top to bottom, but either from about center to the right or about center to the left sides. Most unusual. Bring up expo, and select my desktop again and it goes away. :confused:

Maybe something will show up through the upgrades to fix it.
James