PDA

View Full Version : Things to do after installing Xubuntu link?

mips
October 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Someone posted a link to a site in the last two days or so that has some hints and tips for Xubuntu. besides things to install it also has interface customization suggestions. The page was split in to two columns.

Any ideas

gsmanners
October 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I think it was: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/xubuntu

Man. I'm so spoiled on Xubuntu. I actually caught myself wishing someone would port Murrina to gtk3 so I can make that stuff look nice. :P

mips
October 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I think it was: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/xubuntu

Man. I'm so spoiled on Xubuntu. I actually caught myself wishing someone would port Murrina to gtk3 so I can make that stuff look nice. :P

Thank you!!!

That's exactly what I'm looking for, I bookmarked it this time round ;)

Yes, Xubuntu/XFCE is great and I suspect they will have many converts...

matt_symes
October 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Xubuntu ? Is it any good at the moment ? I have been meaning to install..

mips
October 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM

Yes. I can't stand unity/gnome3 so I'll be using xubuntu & openbox from now on.

matt_symes
October 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes. I can't stand unity/gnome3 so I'll be using xubuntu & openbox from now on.
Cheers. I will check it out :D

Gremlinzzz
October 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Got lazy and installed Linuxmint XFCE:popcorn:

a2j
October 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM

works great on asus netbook.

Morbius1
October 17th, 2011, 04:16 PM
"Xubuntu, all the goodness of Ubunty with half the fat"

It's actually more like 82.68% of the fat but that doesn't have the same cadence ;)

gsmanners
October 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM
"Half" the fat?

$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2008 1014 993 0 126 509
-/+ buffers/cache: 379 1628
Swap: 2047 0 2047

This is on the latest Xubuntu with Firefox running. I think it's pretty close to 50%.

matt_symes
October 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
"Half" the fat?

$ free -m
Swap: 2047 0 2047This is on the latest Xubuntu with Firefox running. I think it's pretty close to 50%.

It's better than my precise install. :mrgreen:

matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$ free -m
Mem: 2771 1970 801 0 175 460
-/+ buffers/cache: 1334 1437
Swap: 3592 0 3592
matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$

Just running Firefox. 14 tabs open though.

mips
October 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
"Half" the fat?

$ free -m
Swap: 2047 0 2047

This is on the latest Xubuntu with Firefox running. I think it's pretty close to 50%.

On a fresh boot I use about 270MB, opening chromium pushes that up to 450MB. Of the 270MB I think the nvidia driver eats up about 90MB or so.

mips
October 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM
[How To] Enable Ubuntu’s Global Menu in Xubuntu 11.10

Xubuntu 11.10 users can now add Ubuntu’s “App Menu” plugin to their desktop set-ups.

http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-Shot-2011-10-18-at-19.09.46.png

Read more here http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/how-to-enable-ubuntus-global-menu-in-xubuntu-11-10/

keithpeter
October 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Hello All

Xubuntu 11.04 on an Asus EeePC 1000 with Firefox running

keith@EeePC:~$ free -m
Mem: 992 628 364 0 6 395
-/+ buffers/cache: 225 767
Swap: 2164 0 2164

Works fine for me!

Linuxratty
October 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM
That looks really nice...Yup,leaning towards Xubuntu.

BrokenKingpin
October 27th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I do the following after installing Xubuntu:

1. I remove the bottom panel and move the top panel down, and customize it a bit.

2. Install Chromium

3. Install Shiki-brave theme, set wallpaper, screensaver, etc.

4. Setup Pidgin and Thunderbird with Lighting

5. Setup SpiderOak sync

6. Install Zim for my notes

7. On my main rig I also install MonoDevelop and Virtual Box for work

Rodney9
October 27th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Lubuntu, half the fat
with Chromium, Synaptic and Radiotray playing

$ free -m
Mem: 8001 1306 6694 0 65 649
-/+ buffers/cache: 591 7409
Swap: 8188 0 8188

crazy bird
October 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
"Xubuntu, all the goodness of Ubunty with half the fat"

:lolflag:

I'm busy with trying out Xubuntu and i must say, besides some odd things i really much like it! It's easy, simple, ligth, fast, and i have a nice clean desktop without all the "fairground attraction" which Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 has (read: Unity).

So far, i'm pleased with Xubuntu.

Legendary_Bibo
October 27th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I do the following after installing Xubuntu:

1. I remove the bottom panel and move the top panel down, and customize it a bit.

2. Install Chromium

3. Install Shiki-brave theme, set wallpaper, screensaver, etc.

4. Setup Pidgin and Thunderbird with Lighting

5. Setup SpiderOak sync

6. Install Zim for my notes

7. On my main rig I also install MonoDevelop and Virtual Box for work

My process:

1. Get drunk

2. Install some stuff I use

3. "Test" some features known to be problematic

4. When things break, I realize I never used that feature anyways

5. Drink some more, attempt to fix stuff

6. Black out and forget what I was doing, never notice any problems anyways as I pretty much only use basic apps and whatnot.

7. Goto 1

alco75
October 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
In Appearance switch to the Ubuntu font.

And the Ubuntu Mono font in Terminal.

mips
October 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
In Appearance switch to the Ubuntu font.

And the Ubuntu Mono font in Terminal.

I don't like that font, I prefer good ol' Sans.

BrokenKingpin
October 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I actually like the default font in Xubuntu... droid I think.

mips
October 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I actually like the default font in Xubuntu... droid I think.

That's also ok, better than the ubuntu fonts anyway.

Gremlinzzz
October 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Got lazy and installed Linuxmint XFCE:popcorn:

Got unlazy installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: Lucid Lynx:popcorn:

northwestuntu
October 28th, 2011, 03:57 AM
im liking it :P i tried lubuntu for a few days and liked that also, but xubuntu has a little more eye candy to it and i like more of the apps that come with it. i think ill stick with xubuntu for a while.

Thewhistlingwind
October 28th, 2011, 04:10 AM
That's also ok, better than the ubuntu fonts anyway.

Not to be confrontational, but have you used the other distros? Some of them that come to mind make the Ubuntu fonts look like modern art. (And I mean that in the best way possible for Ubuntu.)

I don't know WHAT the Ubuntu devs are doing, but they're doing it right.

Legendary_Bibo
October 28th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Not to be confrontational, but have you used the other distros? Some of them that come to mind make the Ubuntu fonts look like modern art. (And I mean that in the best way possible for Ubuntu.)

I don't know WHAT the Ubuntu devs are doing, but they're doing it right.

It's possible to get font rendering like Ubuntu on other distros, but takes a bit of messing around with config files and compiling stuff. I saw a guide for it for Fedora.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=186789

There might be a simpler way these days.

northwestuntu
October 28th, 2011, 04:25 AM
anyone got some cool themes to use on xubuntu or some good customizing eye candy tips

Legendary_Bibo
October 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM
anyone got some cool themes to use on xubuntu or some good customizing eye candy tips

Axiom, or Orta for themes.
Turn on XFCE's compositing, and use a nice looking panel background image for the panels (I used Vista's taskbar as my background set to 75% opacity
Faenza icons

I want it to look good without having to use eye candy docks like AWN, Cairo, or Docky.

northwestuntu
October 28th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Axiom, or Orta for themes.
Turn on XFCE's compositing, and use a nice looking panel background image for the panels (I used Vista's taskbar as my background set to 75% opacity
Faenza icons

I want it to look good without having to use eye candy docks like AWN, Cairo, or Docky.

ill check out those themes. ya i turned on comp already and using full transparent on panel. i already deleted bottom panel didnt like it at all. im not in to all those other docks either.

northwestuntu
October 28th, 2011, 04:55 AM
i like it :D

BrokenKingpin
October 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Shiki-Brave GTk theme with the Shiki Colors window boarders. It has dark panels, but light controls, with blue icons. It is a very nice theme, and have been using it for years.

In past Xubuntu releases I used the Talika for the window list in the panel, which gives it a dock feel (like Win7 Superbar or DockbarX). Unfortunately I don't think there is a repo for 11.10, and I think the Xfapplet (needed to run it in the Xfce panel) is not in the repos anymore.

UPDATE: I was able to install Xfapplet from the natty repo, but Talika requires an old libpanel package, and it needs some older packages, and so on. So for now I am just going to stick with the stock Xfce panel window list.

gsmanners
October 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM

I've been "checking out" out Ambiance (the default Ubuntu Unity theme which you can get out of the repo in the light themes package) for a couple days, and it looks pretty nice. It gives your windows and some controls a distinct orange hue (which I like) and it gives you dark menus. The scrollbars are smaller than the Clearlooks style bars, but not quite so small that you tend to miss them with the mouse. Not to mention the scrollbars are pretty and unobtrusive. I think this one might actually beat Clearwaita for me.

northwestuntu
November 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
how do you turn off the right click hold action? when you right click on a file you have to keep it held down and then release on the action. not really used to that...can it be turned off?

koleoptero
November 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
One thing to do for certain is ditch ristretto and install gpicview. Other than that the software selection is good.

Morbius1
November 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
how do you turn off the right click hold action? when you right click on a file you have to keep it held down and then release on the action. not really used to that...can it be turned off?
I have not experienced that in Xubuntu. The only XFCE distro that I know about that has that issue is Mint's LMDE debian based distro. The solution for that distro is to change the theme from Mint specific to any other.

IcyEyeG
November 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
I also installed Xubuntu 11.10, because I didn't want to use unity on my desktop, and Xfce is the closest thing to gnome 2.x, IMHO.
In order to make it look like Ubuntu 11.04, I installed xfce4-goodies package and alacarte (in case I needed to edit the applications menu).
Then deleted the bottom panel and replace it with a new one with the same properties as the top panel (ie, 24 px size), locking it on bottom.
Finally distributed the following plugins on the panels:
Panel 1
- Applications Menu (changed the icon and added "Applications" text in the menu propertie
- Separator
- Places Menu (selected on properties to show the text "Places", without icon)
- Separator
- Launcher (added Firefox here)
- Separator (selected "expand" on its properties)
- Notification Area
- Indicator Plugin
- Separator
- Clock
- Separator
- Session Menu

Panel 2
- Show Desktop
- Separator
- Windows Buttons
- Separator
- Workspace switcher (set 4 workspaces in a single row in properties)

That's it. Note that there is no Trashcan plugin, so I couldn't add it last on the Panel 2.
For me this would be the ideal configuration for Ubuntu Studio, as I explained here (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2011-October/008008.html).

I also tried to use Compiz with Xfwm4, but I can't get it to work (if I enable Compiz, I loose Xfwm4 decoration) and I tried to use Nautilus as the default file manager, but I can't get it to work properly.

northwestuntu
November 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have not experienced that in Xubuntu. The only XFCE distro that I know about that has that issue is Mint's LMDE debian based distro. The solution for that distro is to change the theme from Mint specific to any other.

thanks! that did it! i didnt think a theme would change the right click behavior?

im really starting to like xubuntu a lot :P

northwestuntu
November 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
One thing to do for certain is ditch ristretto and install gpicview. Other than that the software selection is good.

i agree! i like using mirage myself.

bunny1
December 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
-