PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Difference between "gnome-session-fallback" and "gnome-shell" ...?

scorp123
October 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I hate Unity. Seriously. I hate it. I've been using Linux since 1996 and there were always changes sooner or later, but never this drastic ... (and no, the change from KDE 3.x to KDE 4.x a few years back was not that drastic!)

Sooo ... I was reading on how to get "Gnome Classic" back and there seem to be three different methods ...?:

Method 1):

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback ... I imagine that afterwards there will be an option in the login manager, someting like "Gnome Classic" ...?

Method 2):

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ... and then select "Gnome Classic" in the login manager.

Method 3)

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel ... not sure what exactly this does and what dependencies this pulls in??

So my question is: What's the difference between these? Are they really the same or do different packages get installed? And which one really does give the user a Gnome 2.x like experience?

Can anyone who's already installed Ubuntu 11.10 be so kind and respond please? Thank you in advance.

mcduck
October 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I don't know about the gnome-panel one, but what comes to installing gnome-shell or gnome-session-fallback, the thing is simply that they depend on each other. Doesn't matter which one you install, you'll get both anyway. :)

Gnome-session-fallback is the one that gives you the interface similar to old Gnome 2, but it's part of (and thus depends on) gnome-shell.

scorp123
October 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Doesn't matter which one you install, you'll get both anyway. :)

Gnome-session-fallback is the one that gives you the interface similar to old Gnome 2, but it's part of (and thus depends on) gnome-shell.

:lolflag: ... guess that explains it then :D

Thanks!