PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will 11.10 Fallback to a Usable Gnome Type GUI for Old PCs?

HDTimeshifter
October 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I just upgraded my main desktop to 11.10 (with Unity for the first time) and from a brief browsing around here, I'm not sure there is a usable GUI fallback for older hardware.

I recently swapped out drives in my file server (an old Athlon) that was running 11.04 desktop with the Gnome GUI. I was waiting for the 11.10 release to do a clean install rather than installing 11.04 and upgrading. Will 11.10 install ok on it, or should I just reinstall 11.04 desktop?

MAFoElffen
October 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I just upgraded my main desktop to 11.10 (with Unity for the first time) and from a brief browsing around here, I'm not sure there is a usable GUI fallback for older hardware.

I recently swapped out drives in my file server (an old Athlon) that was running 11.04 desktop with the Gnome GUI. I was waiting for the 11.10 release to do a clean install rather than installing 11.04 and upgrading. Will 11.10 install ok on it, or should I just reinstall 11.04 desktop?
In 11.04, Unity3D was the default, fallback was Gnome2 "Ubuntu Classic" and Unity2D could be installed from the Software Center. Both an Dist-Upgrade from 11.04 and a new fresh install to 11.10 result in the same as in relates to Gnome-

In 11.10, Unity3D is the Default, Unity2D is the fallback. Gnome3 is not there. Gnome3 can be installed from the Software Center. Go to the search filter there and type in "gnome destop" Select learn more. Scroll down and select what options you want installed with it. Press on the apply changes in options. Select install.

After the install completes, reboot. At the login screen, at the upper right corner of the login dialog box, there is a white Ubuntu icon... Click on it with your mouse. A pulldown menu will appear with your desktop options. Select "Gnome Cliassic." That will load the Gnome panels that mimic what past users are used to...

Note that the System Menu is now under the Users Name (upper most-right), under System Settings... Just like in all the other desktop menus now.

uRock
October 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Visit the fallback link in my signature.

HDTimeshifter
October 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Oh, I forgot there's a Unity 2D. I'll see if and how that works as I'm using integrated video, so pretty sure it won't support 3D.

Thanks.

MAFoElffen
October 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Visit the fallback link in my signature.
Well- You might want to read this first:
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/320617