PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Sharing no longer working after upgarde to 11.10

kcny
October 15th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Hello,

I have two computers that have been running on 11.04 and I use the built-in Desktop Sharing program on both (and use VNC to remote connect to them).

After I upgraded both computers to 11.10, it seems that Desktop Sharing isn't working on either machine? If I launch the Desktop Sharing program, all of my settings are present from pre-upgrade (password, checked to always show icon) -- yet I do not see any icon that the program is running and when I try to connect to them it immediately fails.

How can I check to see that Desktop Sharing is actually running and/or what steps should I take to troubleshoot this?

- Thank you

pmla
October 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Same problem here in 2 machines :(

Pepehillo
October 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Same thing here. Any ideas?

ejuden
October 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Same here, I hope someone figures it out soon, I will keep trying as well. :(

kcny
October 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
It looks like Pepehillo opened a case for it:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/174568

ejuden
October 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I did this and finally got it to work.

I had my IPv4 Settings to Manual, I set temporarily to DHCP, rebooted. I then test connecting to the IP address assigned and was successful. I then change the IPv4 settings back to Manual and re-entered the previous assigned IP address. All works well now.

Who knows why.

kcny
October 15th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Interesting, because both of my machines are on two different subnets with static addresses too.

I'll have to try your fix.

I set PC to DHCP (but since I only have static on my network didn't get an address). Rebooted and then set back to static and rebooted again -- did not resolve issue.

ejuden
October 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
One more thing I noticed is that my shared printer on this machine was also no longer accessible via other computers or internet, I had to re-enable sharing for it again.

Pepehillo
October 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks ejuden. It worked for me too. I just updated the case I opened with the workaround you suggested. Anyway, I hope they find a "real" solution...

kcny
October 16th, 2011, 12:51 AM
OK, worked for me to0 (I had to set DHCP on my network).

The icon still does not show up though.

gabhroo
October 16th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Are you guys talking about assigning static IP addresses within Ubuntu or through the router?
For me, Ubuntu is using DHCP, but my router is assigning a static IP address (corresponding to the MAC address).
I tried taking out the static IP assignment through router, but that did not help either.

kcny
October 17th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I use static addresses assigned within Ubuntu. I had to turn DHCP on on my router, change Ubuntu to DHCP (then reboot), then I set Ubuntu back to static and turned DHCP back off on my router.

xpavement
October 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I had both a manual IP and the IP set on my router, and I still can't get desktop sharing to work after upgrading. I've tried setting to DHCP alone, restarting, and I still can't connect even though it's getting the right IP. How do I check the sharing service itself at the command line to see if it is running properly, and where are all the configs for desktop sharing stored?

stephensheppard
October 18th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks for posting your suggestions. I was in a panic. I had upgraded to 11.10 and desktop sharing went totally silent.

In my case, I already had Automatic DHCP set, but tried changing it to:

Automatic (DHCP) addresses only

I then rebooted and it now works.

This upgrade really seems like it wasn't ready for prime time.

Cheers!

Phil Usher
October 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I am still unable to make Remote Desktop Sharing work again after upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10. My setup is complicated by the Ubuntu 11.10 install running as a virtual machine under VMWare Player.

In my case the network connection has always been (IPv4) DHCP and the router assigns the consistent IPv4 address based on the Mac address. I tried changing to static (didn't work) and then back to DHCP (didn't work).

Summary of problem:
Following upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 Remote Desktop Access via VNC (now called Desktop Sharing) stopped working.

Remote VNC connection (Ultra VNC) - "Failed to connect to server !".
Notification Area Icon - Not present

Desktop sharing set as follows:

Sharing

(yes) Allow other users to view your desktop
(yes) Allow other users to control your desktop

Security

(no) You must confirm each access to this machine
(yes) Require the user to enter this password *******
(yes) Automatically configure UPnP router to open and forward ports

Show Notification Area Icon

(selected) Always

If anyone has learned more about this problem I would welcome any additional insight. Currently I am accessing the desktop via VNC to the Host operating system - not ideal at all.

Thanks.

cripperz
November 24th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Facing the same issue after upgrading 11.04 to 11.10 as well. Its on 64bit. Im testing a 32bit using vbox installation.

Phil Usher
November 25th, 2011, 07:08 AM
FYI - A recent set of updates corrected his problem.