PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 Unity, screwed up

lliff
October 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I upgraded to 11.10 the other day, and everything was working fine. I was using HDMI to watch a movie on my TV with it, and ever since that my screen looks like the attached file.

All I see is the gray bar on top with menu items "File, Edit, View, Go, Bookmarks, Help".
There are no buttons/icons on the right side, like the time, and internet connection.
I can't get the launcher menu to come up either.

If I log in using Unity 2D it works, but I would really like to use Unity 3D.

Thanks!

CraigGB
October 15th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I upgraded to 11.10 the other day, and everything was working fine. I was using HDMI to watch a movie on my TV with it, and ever since that my screen looks like the attached file.

All I see is the gray bar on top with menu items "File, Edit, View, Go, Bookmarks, Help".
There are no buttons/icons on the right side, like the time, and internet connection.
I can't get the launcher menu to come up either.

If I log in using Unity 2D it works, but I would really like to use Unity 3D.

Thanks!

this just this second happened to me too, I had to delete .gnome2 to fix a problem I had, would be regenerated next time I log in, gnome shell works fine as well as unity 2d but a normal unity session gets me exactly the same bar :(

the most naive user
October 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
exactly same problem with me.
I used compizconfig settings manager to enable preview and the the resut was a single bar on top. with no shutdown button etc.

and how can i delete this file

CraigGB
October 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I fixed it!, I needed to install ccsm, run it and re enable the unity plug in :), now its working fine again

lliff
October 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I fixed it!, I needed to install ccsm, run it and re enable the unity plug in :), now its working fine again

How do you run it and re-enable Unity?

the most naive user
October 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM

The new value for the key binding for the action Key to start the switcher in reverse in plugin Ubuntu Unity Plugin conflicts with the action prev_key of the Static Application Switcher plugin.
Do you wish to disable prev_key in the Static Application Switcher plugin?

because of this conflict, unity was disabled.

CraigGB
October 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
How do you run it and re-enable Unity?

I opened a terminal with the keyboard shortcut I have assigned to open a terminal, typed in ccsm and hit enter, that started it

The new value for the key binding for the action Key to start the switcher in reverse in plugin Ubuntu Unity Plugin conflicts with the action prev_key of the Static Application Switcher plugin.
Do you wish to disable prev_key in the Static Application Switcher plugin?

because of this conflict, unity was disabled.

I know originally the default settings had the static application switcher disabled, however on 11.04 it was enabled on the default compiz settings, for some reason on mine, yours and others it seems to have switched to the old original compiz settings, but yeah basically you want to disable that :), a default unity session has that plugin disabled

lliff
October 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM
It worked! Thanks man!

lovinglinux
October 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
This problem happened to me after messing with Compiz.

I solved the problem by deleting ~/.compiz-1/session contents and ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config.

xianbei
October 25th, 2011, 04:17 AM
big thanks to you for figuring this one out!