PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problems after 11.10 upgrade

azupan
October 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Here's what happened:

Shutdown and Restart buttons have disappeared from KDE Plasma menu. Kubuntu login screen was replaced by ubuntu login screen. In order to shut down, I have to logout from KDE, and shutdown from Ubuntu. Annoying. The reason might be that I have converted from Ubuntu to Kubuntu a while ago because of problems I had with Unity.
Firefox slowed down beyond useless. It takes a couple of seconds before it reacts to anyting, and it uses 2x100% CPU on multicore machine despite of the fact that I disabled all add-ons. How does it manage to do that is beyond me. Unfortunately, I need it for development. I'd substitute it with Chromium, but it doesn't support activities, and doesn't have all the stuff I need. Rekonq is nice, but doesn't have all the functionality.
LibreOffice icons do not show on desktop widgets. Looks like mere annoyance, but how can I know which application I'm launching?

Any help would be appreciated.

chrestomanci
October 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Here's what happened:

[LIST]
Shutdown and Restart buttons have disappeared from KDE Plasma menu. Kubuntu login screen was replaced by ubuntu login screen. In order to shut down, I have to logout from KDE, and shutdown from Ubuntu. Annoying. The reason might be that I have converted from Ubuntu to Kubuntu a while ago because of problems I had with Unity.

I have found a fix for the shutdown problem. See my comments on Thread 1860008 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860008)

azupan
October 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks.

I've done some research of my own in the meantime. I've prepared new, fresh Kubuntu installation in an empty partition, and as far as I was able to test it so far, it works OK.

I suspect the reason for my problems is that I converted my Ubuntu to Kubuntu installation a while ago, because of problems I had with Unity. Once I'm sure, I'll mark this thread as Solved.

I still have another, larger empty partition free, and it looks like I'll have to migrate my stuff there- as soon as I decide whether to use Kubuntu or OpenSUSE.

azupan
October 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
UPDATE: Yup, it was the ol' Unity allright. Looks like it doesn't get along with KDE very well. Firefox works OK on fresh installation, and shutdown buttons are there as well. I haven't tested LibreOffice icons, though, because I was forced to switch to OpenSUSE for some other reasons. MySql Workbench doesn't work anymore, and I need it for my work.