PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no log out option?

cschmidtok
October 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I upgraded to 11.10 but I have no option for logging out of it? I typically go to the upper corner and select "shut down". Now all I can do is "switch user account". Is there some kind of new way to exit out of Ubuntu 11.10? I have no problems logging in from the login screen.

couldbbetter
October 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I upgraded to 11.10 but I have no option for logging out of it? I typically go to the upper corner and select "shut down". Now all I can do is "switch user account". Is there some kind of new way to exit out of Ubuntu 11.10? I have no problems logging in from the login screen.

lol what? click the power icon beside your user name and click logout its 3 options above shutdown...

cschmidtok
October 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
You described it identically the way it used to work. now completely gone. I'm also experiencing the wonderful blank icon problem.

ntrgc89
October 17th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue after upgrading from 11.04. There's no power icon next to the username, the username is the last thing on the panel and now it appears there's no way to edit the panel?

ArtStadlin
October 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Same issue here as well. I just upgraded to 11.10 Saturday (2-days ago). Seems like this would be a simple matter to resolve, yet I have spent almost an hour trying things and searching the web. Hopefully an answer to this riddle will emerge soon, and the Power Icon will be restored!

Right now the easiest work-around is to wait until the HDD activity light is out, and then press the Reset button (for a computer restart) or hold the power switch down (for a full shut down). Kind of clunky.

rplantz
October 17th, 2011, 11:41 PM
If I move my mouse pointer as far as I can to the right of my user name, then click, the log out menu drops down. I have to be sure to keep the pointer at the far right of the screen as I move it down the menu.

Screen resolution looks fine, so I don't think this is the issue here.

Edit: I just found a solution that worked for me. I was trying to also get my icons back and ran across http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860830, post #5.

ArtStadlin
October 18th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Yes, SUCCESS! Thank you, that worked perfectly.

critin
October 18th, 2011, 03:31 AM
clicking the main button on the top left or hitting the 'windows' key on the keyboard brings up search. Type in log out, and choose which one you want.

critin