PDA

View Full Version : This is not a support question

westie457
October 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Does anybody want a laugh at my expense, have just done one of the silliest things ever.

Booted into Windows, just to update it. Then moved the pointer to the left of the screen to start something different. Guess what, no Launcher appeared, scratched my head for a little while thinking OMG Ubuntu is broken. How do I fix this.

mcduck
October 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I can definitely relate to that.

When ever I have to use Windows, I'm also constantly trying to switch to another desktop, and of course trying to middle-click on my mouse to paste stuff, wondering if the mouse is broken before realizing the futility of such actions I have grown to expect my computer to handle. :/

aeronutt
October 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I've done the same many times (switching between G3 and W7, etc.)

CharlesA
October 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Done that when switching between my Ubuntu box and my Windows box...

Ever tried using mv to move something on a Windows box? Doesn't work. >.<

pr3zident
October 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Does anybody want a laugh at my expense, have just done one of the silliest things ever.

Booted into Windows, just to update it. Then moved the pointer to the left of the screen to start something different. Guess what, no Launcher appeared, scratched my head for a little while thinking OMG Ubuntu is broken. How do I fix this.

+1 i do the samething with TAB key lol when im on my phone or windows computer i try to press tab for completion and to realize im not in Ubuntu terminal

raja.genupula
October 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Ha ha :D:D:D Guys i too faced the problem but not in windows , i have faced that in my Xubuntu.Moving my mouse to left side ,unity not showing up even i place my mouse over there...just i think for a moment that "aah! its gone again and i need to fix";) and then "oh **** its not ubuntu".

trivialpackets
October 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I do this constantly, trying to switch to desktop right and it flips my display sideways, it's a beautiful thing...

3Miro
October 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I can't count how many hours I have spend scrolling the middle-button on the Windows desktop trying to switch workspaces.

Atamisk
October 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I do this constantly, trying to switch to desktop right and it flips my display sideways, it's a beautiful thing...

YES. i have to use an XP box at work, and i do this constantly.

ubupirate
October 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Did you try opening terminal and:

unity --replace

???

Larkspur
October 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM

unity --replace
???

:)

Sounds a bit late for that. He should run:

ubuntu-bug windows

skytreader
October 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
[Some advice:]

Yep. One of the most irritating mind jumps when you need to work with Windows is when you try to organize your windows into workspaces. Windows doesn't have that.

You can use VirtuaWin (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/) though. It's not as eye-candy as Compiz but it does the trick. :D

westie457
October 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM

unity --replace

???

I would have if Ctrl+Alt+T worked.

Copper Bezel
October 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Nice!

My thing is Scale. I have it set to the upper left corner, Activities-style, so whenever I'm using a Windows machine at work, I'm perpetually slinging the pointer into the upper left to spread the windows. On the XP machines, particularly, I then have to think a little to make the taskbar work.

nerdopolis
October 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
How about trying to scroll in an inactive window in Windows? (And then having highlighted text appear unhighlighted when you switch windows)

And yes, I don't know how many times I tried to use the cp command to copy files, and tried to use tab completion in the command prompt...