PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customisation of taskbar color and windows

maravingian
October 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,

Just upgraded to 11.10. Loving the new changes...except one. Every other version of Ubuntu gave you the ability to customise the taskbar, windows and desktop background. This new one appears to be unable to.

I would normally go into Appearance then choose the tab for Font/Theme etc and make the necessary adjustments then save the updated theme.

Also, right clicking on the taskbar does not give you the option to adjust colour settings (i.e. change from grey to orange). Finally the size and the colour of the pointer also cannot be changed.

Am I looking in the wrong folder for this? Is there a new app to do this? How do you load and set your old saved themes/customised colours you have used from previous versions? Is there a way to change the transparency of the window in 11.10?

I have tried using the Official documentation (not been updated from 11.04 yet!) and either I`m typing in the wrong words or its just not there anymore...

Cheers to anyone who can help :roll:

mcduck
October 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
The old themes and methods won't work, since Ubuntu 11.10 uses Gnome 3 and GTK3, while the old themes are for GTK2.

Installing gnome-tweak-tool will give you options for fonts, icons, mouse cursor etc.

...and transparencies work just like before, either adjusted from the program in question or through compizconfig settings manager, depending on what type of transparency you are talking about and if it's a feature of the program itself or something done by the window manager.

I'm not sure what you mean with taskbar, since there is none, but the top panel looks are simply determined by the theme you are using, an the launcher panel has no options apart from the level of transparency (controlled in compizconfig settings manager, under the Unity plugin)

maravingian
October 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM
The last Ubuntu allowed me to change the colour of the top taskbar (where you find the tabs for File Edit Go Views Bookmarks Help) to orange. I was also able to change the colour of the window to orange with the window background to black with yellow font.

From the official documentation the writer described how to make the window background transparent using a slider from Opaque to Transparent. Does Compizconfig still have this ability?