PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost some icons on upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

ubifree
October 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 yesterday. The upgrade says it failed - error on installing flashplayer, flashplayer-installer and colord. But I think I've fixed those.

However the individualised icons I had in the launcher for Terminal, Screenshot, System Monitor, Rubbish Bin, Workspace Switcher and Filesystems have all been replaced with identical bland icons (grey window with a title bar). Strangely though, some icons have not been replaced and are as they should be - e.g., Firefox.

Likewise some icons are missing altogether from the System Settings window: Appearance, Keyboard Layout, Language Support, Screen, Keyboard, Mouse and Touchpad, Network, Printing, System Info, Universal Access and User Accounts. All the others are still present though (eg., Online Accounts, Ubuntu One, Additional Drivers).

Does anyone know how I can get my icons back please?

lingenfr
October 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I've got the same or a similar program. I can understand that a few installed apps may not have a compatible icon yet, but Home Folder, Terminal, Workspace Switcher and Trash don't have icons in the sliding toolbar on the left of the screen. As far as I know, those are default apps and I would think there are icons. Is there a solution? I have looked at similar threads and none have a real solution. Thanks.

cschmidtok
October 15th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'm seeing the same problem. This release is the worst. I'm ready to rewind the clock.

EchoTech
October 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Same thing, I lost Trash, Workspace Switcher, Terminal, Home Folder and the icon for my second physical hard drive (sdb1), replaced by the default(?) icon.

ubifree
October 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I fixed it almost by accident. Go to System Settings > Appearance. At the bottom there is a dropdown for different themes - Ambiance, Radiance, etc. Choose a different one to the one you had and you'll see all your icons reappear! You can even change back to the theme you just had.

All my icons have reappeared - Home Folder, Rubbish Bin, etc, in the Launcher bar, and all the icons in my System Settings dialog. The Gear cog that was missing from the top right of the screen has also reappeared - phew!

cschmidtok
October 15th, 2011, 07:46 PM
that was it. Thanks

Jetbo
October 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joy, thanks for posting this fix!

Chibana
October 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
That sure isn't working for me. I've switched to other themes and gone back and I'm still missing all of those icons. Firefox looks like crap, too (the tabs, menu bar, look like the theme has broken and it's dropped down to some generic Gnome look).

Can't Ubuntu release a new OS without major issues? Then again, can't I learn to not install the latest version immediately? But then again, I did a fresh install to rid myself of bugginess in version 11.04. Oops. Now what? These last two versions have been a nightmare.

Shaddarr
October 16th, 2011, 03:45 AM
That sure isn't working for me. I've switched to other themes and gone back and I'm still missing all of those icons. Firefox looks like crap, too (the tabs, menu bar, look like the theme has broken and it's dropped down to some generic Gnome look).

Can't Ubuntu release a new OS without major issues? Then again, can't I learn to not install the latest version immediately? But then again, I did a fresh install to rid myself of bugginess in version 11.04. Oops. Now what? These last two versions have been a nightmare.

Same exact thing as this and the above. Icons on the Launcher are missing for the same things (Trash, etc). Using Dash ("The Long Way") to get to Themes and changing did not work. Relogging did not work.

I have a system running 10.04 and it is humming along nicely, ever since I installed 10.04. I have not needed to adjust ANYTHING on that one since booting off of the CD.

The 11's as a whole are just atrocious and I await the 12's and the change away from the Dash and Launcher perhaps to something new that works.

lingenfr
October 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It worked for me, but I had to select Radiance, then I could select any one and had all my icons. Thanks again.

rplantz
October 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM
In other words, slap it.

wsscott
October 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Worked for me also....Thanks!

keithmac
October 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm seeing the same problem. This release is the worst. I'm ready to rewind the clock.

I was fine with 11.04 but don't like 11.10 I didn't know about the regular upgrading problems - should've read these pages first. I wish I'd left well alone... :( I'd like to get back to 11.04 but I've been unable to find a simple guide in any of the posted threads.

How do I do it using the Live CD I created to install 11.04 in the first place - can anyone please walk me through? (or post an appropriate link) I'm dual-booted with Vista which I don't want to wreck. Can I just re-install into the partition I created for the original 11.04 installation?

No issues with backing up as I've used Linux only for fast access to email and Internet browsing.

neiljansons
October 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
thanks for the hint on changing themes

however changing the theme gave me some icons back in my launcher but the icons for libreoffice writer now has a ? in it rather than being a generic icon.

I can't see how you can edit the properties of the items in the launcher
or change their order for that matter

ubifree
October 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
Not sure how to edit the properties of items in the launcher, but to change their order just click on them and drag them around. You have to pull the icon out to the right of the launcher (assuming the launcher's on the left)to free it first.

DarwinSurvivor
October 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Switching from Ambiance to Radiance fixed it, switched back to Ambiance and it was still fixed :D

rosiet
November 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Ubifree - thanks! Worked a treat. How strange, though...

Couldn't agree more with Chibana:

I've got my computer running dual-boot with Ubuntu 10.04 just for a bit of stability!

johnnie1uk
January 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Fixed for me too --- after reboot