PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Assumption - 64 bit means server?

carlbeech
October 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I've been running 64 bit Ubuntu/Kubuntu for the last 3-4 releases - as I've got a 4Gb machine, and the 32 bit doesn't see it all...

I've always used this as a normal desktop PC - so why when I've downloaded the 64 bit version, has the assumption been made that I want the server version? - it doesn't come with a GUI, and has been a real pain to configure - luckily, I'm fairly familiar with linux and the command prompt, but I can see less experienced people being really put off by this...

Can I suggest that you have two different downloads - desktop and server version for 64 bit please?

Thanks

Carl

coffeecat
October 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Can I suggest that you have two different downloads - desktop and server version for 64 bit please?

If you start at the main www.ubuntu.com page and follow the links for download, you end up here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Change 32-bit to 64-bit, click on "start download" and you are offered the desktop ISO. You have to click on the "Ubuntu server" link to get to here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/download

So the two options you are asking for already exist.

By the way, this is the Ubuntu forums, which does not administer the ubuntu.com website. If you have found a problem in the Ubuntu website you can follow the "Report a Problem" link on that website.

carlbeech
October 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info...

Saying that, I went to the download page, selected 64bit, and the server edition was what came down... - I wasn't on the server page, so they may have had the iso's mixed up?

Thanks

Carl.

coffeecat
October 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info...

Saying that, I went to the download page, selected 64bit, and the server edition was what came down... - I wasn't on the server page, so they may have had the iso's mixed up?

Thanks

Carl.

Interesting thought. It's a bit of lottery which actual server you download from - I'm not quite sure how one is chosen for a particular download request. Here in the UK there are over a dozen apart from the main Canonical one. Perhaps you're right and the server you connected to was in a muddle. Although, having said that, the directory hierarchy of Ubuntu files would be retained when a download server syncs with the main one. A mystery.