PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Clock says "Time" after 11.10

shochatd
October 15th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I just upgraded to 11.10 and over in the place in the menu bar where the time should be displayed, it just says "Time". If I click on that, I can choose Time & Date Settings... and that dialog shows the correct time. Also, in the "Clock" tab, "Show a clock in the menubar" is checked. So what's wrong?

shochatd
October 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
No solution yet. I just wanted to add that I tried creating a brand new account to see if the problem was caused by faulty migration of home directory files. But in the new account, it still just says "Time" where the actual time should be. I take it nobody else is having this problem?
-- David

NeilInCanadia
October 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I have precisely the same problem.

shochatd
October 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Do you have an indicator menu for switching keyboard layouts? I do, and I was wondering if there might be some conflict between it and the rest of the indicator stuff (not enough room?). For me, it's the left-most indicator menu, just to the left of the one that looks like an envelope (for "messaging" I guess).

NeilInCanadia
October 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I do, but I doubt that's the problem (and I think it was there in 11.4 for me).

NeilInCanadia
October 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm also unable to change some of the time settings (the "unlock" button to switch to root is greyed out). Might be related?

shochatd
October 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Where are the time settings you are referring to? The only dialog I've found has no unlock button (it's user-specific). I'm still suspicious of the keyboard layout switcher. After all, you and I are the only ones in this forum reporting the problem and we both have that. And I'm guessing that the majority of Ubuntu users do not. I was trying to figure out how to disable it when I saw your post.

shochatd
October 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I take it back about the keyboard-switching indicator menu. That is user-specifc: I tried logging in as another user and that menu was not there. But the problem of the indicator (menu bar) clock just saying "Time" WAS there.

ebelhaire
October 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM
The update suppresses the file /etc/timezone and this is at the origin of the problem of "Time" display. The file can be restored with the command :
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
It solved the problem for me.

Eric

NeilInCanadia
October 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Great, fixed it for me too! Thanks.

shochatd
October 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Bingo! That solved the problem. Marked this thread Solved.
Thank you!
-- David

shochatd
October 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm just curious about one thing: How is it that through all this the "Time & Date Settings" dialog displayed the correct time, as did xclock? Both apparently knew my correct time zone.