PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Chrome locks up on 11.10 beta and release

lhuppe
October 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Chrome will lock up my system although flash continues to run because Pandora radio will play on when this happens. It also happened when watching a flash movie on Aljazeera. I tried installing Chromium to see if that would fare better but it completely exited on me and would not start up again. When I tried to launch Chrome from a command prompt I got a shared memory error message and was advised to run "sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm" which I did. That allowed me to start Chrome again.

Is there a log file that can give some hints as to what went wrong?

Please advise.

23dornot23d
October 15th, 2011, 02:45 AM
How much memory does your machine have and what sort of things were running at the time it happened .....

lhuppe
October 15th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I was running Chrome alone. In fact I have my system slimmed down to very little else. I first noticed the problem when I installed 11.10 beta 2 and it persists in 11.10 release.

I have a dual core 2.xGhz Athlon with 2GB of RAM and rarely use more than 512MB according to System Monitor. There are plenty of system resources on this machine for running a browser and Pandora radio.

23dornot23d
October 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Have you tried using flash aid

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/

see if that helps ..... its a firefox addon but from what I read it works across browsers

Remove conflicting flash plugins from Ubuntu/Debian Linux systems,
install the appropriate version according to system architecture and
apply some tweaks to improve performance and fix common issues.