PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] no recovery mode for Ocelot

rfbeck
October 15th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I upgraded to Ocelot from Natty, and I expected the usual driver hassle with my Nvidia drivers. I booted into the "recovery mode" to re-install my Nvidia drivers for the new kernel.
However, when I went into recovery mode, I just got a blank screen.
I think I might have a botched installation, because I've never had a problem getting into the "recovery mode" before.
Is there a way to do a repair installation for Ocelot? Or basically what's the best solution. Please help, because I kind of freakin'.

______
Robert

rfbeck
October 15th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Well, I managered to get a CLI using a alternate install disk. From there I installed my NVIDIA driver. I'm still wondering how I get the Unity desktop, since I was stubbornly using Gnome under Natty. Now I can't switch back to Unity. Is there a CLI to do this? Thanks.
______
Robert

rfbeck
October 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Still no recovery text options when I choose this during start up. That's the eastest way for me to get to the command line without booting into graphic Linux. What IS going on!

garvinrick4
October 15th, 2011, 06:07 AM
This is a way to use chroot and get into / of your install and update and upgrade and check for
broken packages in a live cd (install cd using Try Ubuntu). open a terminal and copy and paste one at a time.
I am going to use sda5 for this You USE your own

sudo fdisk -l (lower case L)
Now find your linux install and use it in place of my sda5 (and get internet working in Live CD)

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev; sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts; sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc; sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
sudo chroot /mnt
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get -f install
exit
sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts && sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt/sys; sudo umount /mnt
sudo reboot#All this is doing is checking for broken packages and any uninstalled packages and updating system
and checking for broken packages again then umounting what was mounted.
## While in chroot you can install grub, install packages, remove packages, do anything required when cannot get a boot and need this alternative method to repair.
Just do not have to use sudo because you are in root of whatever install you mounted in /mnt or your file system.

rfbeck
October 15th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks. I'm going to try it now. I also wonder why I have to log into 2D Unity. I have just installed NVIDIA's latest driver. Why no 3d Unity? I guess I'll try the above suggestion and see what happens!
_______
Robert

garvinrick4
October 15th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks. I'm going to try it now. I also wonder why I have to log into 2D UnityYou mean in your live cd?